Nathan sent this in on this historic day of the opening of Sparkleshark...

So it's Thurday, opening night for Philip Ridley's Sparkleshark, and so I'm writing a blog about the experience in between learning lines in the vain hope it'll distract me from my nerves. Having only been at Yew Tree a year and a bit this was my first Connections project and, quite upsettingly, as I'm moving to Cardiff in October it'll be my last as well. But I can honestly say I have nothing but good memories after the experience. I've not at any point regretted giving up all my Saturdays for two months or the whole week in the middle of February (admittedly I had nothing else to do). In fact I enjoyed every second of the rehearsals and am slightly annoyed that they've finished.

In the play I play the part of Shane (the cool, the brooding, the let's paint my bedroom black etc.) which for the most part entails me standing in the corner sulking. This in itself presents far more of a challenge than you expect because the rest of the cast are so unbelievably funny, with special mentions for Aaron Darling and Ellie Moran as the hapless Buzz and Speed. Keeping a straight face has never been so hard. On top of our cast (perfoming Thursday and Saturday evenings) there's a whole other cast (performing Friday and Saturday matinee) who've put their own spin on it and also a performance of the monologue Karamazoo, also by Philip Ridley.

I realise that in writing this now, the blog probably won't be posted in time for anyone to read it and decide to come along but I'm going to recommend it anyway, for either cast, or even better both.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...