I am delighted to welcome Ian Morris to the blog...he worked for Yew Tree in the early days and he's writing this as an attendee of our magical Open Mic NIght 6...

The night Christmas arrived in Wakefield.

Twas a few nights before Christmas and all through Wakey town, not a creature was stirring, except the usual evening's offerings of drunken revellers, taxi drivers, and those weird people you find in every town and city on the planet who don't appear to have any purpose or a rational sense of hygiene. The ones who congregate around bus stations and always seem to approach you to ask for a light, some money or a chance to unload some of their precious spittle on your shoes!

I digress. The previous weeks snow had all but melted, but in a small pocket of Wakefield, the festive spirit was about to get a royal kick in the baubles...Yew Tree style!

I walked into the back bar of Henry Boons, as a bit of an old hand at Open Mic Evenings. I have spent many an evening sat in a dimly lit pubs across West Yorkshire, waiting my turn to sidle up to the beer smelling microphone and attempt to impress the waiting crowd, hoping that I wouldn't mess up the fiddly bit in the middle or not be able to hit the high notes. I was used to the last chords of my song to ring out to a chorus of 'What wer that?' or 'Play that one you did last week.' There is often a not too subtle feeling of competition amongst the performers...'Are they better than me?' and 'They're not very good.' This is what you may come to expect at an open mic night.

This was not the case on this particular Sunday night...not from Yew Tree Youth Theatre. From the minute I arrived, knowing only a handful of people, there was a real feeling of warmth and welcoming. The room was bright and sparkly...and not just from the christmas lights hung around the room. There was a buzz in the air that told me tonight would be a good one...that I needn't worry about messing up the fiddly bit.

From the opening chords of 'Fairytale of New York' to the closing bar of 'Silent Night,' the performances were brilliant, keeping the whole room entertained. The wide range of abilities, confidence and song choices made no difference to the crowd, who thanked each turn with thunderous applause. Well done to all those who did perform, but also to those who showed appreciation and support for the people who got up to sing, recite and improvise...none of which easy to do.

The moment of impromptu singing along with Danny's Merry Xmas Everybody summed the night up for me. Everyone there to have a good time with good friends...and maybe win some Nandos vouchers.

Thanks for letting me be part of the evening. I still am unable to get the chorus of 'Taylor the Latte Boy' out of my head!!!

A wonderful night, with wonderful people. You should all be very proud of yourselves.

Merry Christmas.

Ian

(Jazz Flute Hero)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...