Tiff Milner...writer extraordinaire!

At some point, a scary man tried to get over the gate into the grounds. The most beautiful hostess I’ve ever seen got a boot to the face during a mosh pit. It was so cold I thought my fingers would fall off. And through it all, Yew Tree was nothing short of extraordinary. So, for those who don’t know, yesterday the Yew Tree writers pulled off a superhero-style team-up with a group of wonderfully talented Gold and Black YT actors for a spot of spoken word poetry and physical theatre at A Night of Fire and Enlightenment at the Orangery. There was live music, there was frolicking, there was pie and peas and a good night had by all but even more warming than the copious amount of tea provided, it was yet another example of Yew Tree awesomeness. And it wasn’t only because I was there. Although that was one reason. Lit charmingly by firelight, the writers performed first, accompanied by the fabulous Stems (hurry, go find them on Facebook!). Since I’m part of writers I can tell you that we’ve been preparing for about four sessions for this performance, writing fiery spoken word and we spent ages beforehand running the order we were going to read them in. I own up to it now before anyone else says it. I screwed up the order a smidge. But fortunately it didn’t seem to matter. The poetry read like a charm, we looked particularly splendid and the buzz you get from having people applaud your work is one of the greatest things about an artist, you’ll know this, you guys are actors, so you’ll recognise the excited flare in your stomach when someone starts clapping. The cold was left behind, the worry was left behind, even the fact that I was starting to shake a little bit because people were staring and I wasn’t sure if I’d remembered to dust the breadstick crumbs off my suit from earlier. It all dissipated in the wonderful reminder of what Yew Tree is all about: Confidence, happiness and, of course, arty artiness. Following up after the writers is always a difficult task. Of course. We’re charismatic, we’re mysterious, we’re exquisite. It’s just part of the natural writer charm. Oh the poor souls who followed us into the fray, how would they survive? Better than I did, is the answer to that question. In fact, I dip my literal hat and return, a little embarrassed, to my dark and morbid sonnets in awe. The physical theatre guys knocked it out of the park. Partway between dance, physical theatre and a swirling inferno of sparky awesomeness, the Orangery was treated to some of the best of Yew Tree. If you guys are reading this: You guys were amazing. Thus, leaving the crowd enlightened and smiling, we left in a penguin huddle to a proud Gemma and Sarah waiting in the wings. We set the night on fire, my fellow Yew Tree friends and I say that because we were on top of the world after a performance like that. And also, I say it because it was a rather witty pun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...