Helena - who used to be a member of Gold Company came back to spend a couple of days with us so I asked her for a blog...very glad I did...

Last week I shadowed Sarah as part of my university placement, it was lovely to return to something that still felt familiar even though it has grown so much since I was last involved. Familiar faces and new ones all made the time very enjoyable and a real pleasure rather than required placement.

On Monday we spent time teaching at CAPA as they have hired Sarah to direct their AS drama piece. It was really interesting to see people’s different perceptions and interpretations of theatre and made me really appreciate what Yew Tree had done for me without me even realising. How it went on to influence me in my A Level drama devised pieces where I had rarely had the opportunity to create new theatre or develop ideas until I became involved with Yew Tree. The AS year at CAPA are doing Blackout and I really thinks it’s going to be good for them, you could see their hunger for something new, fresh and exciting and something just a little bit different to what they may have done before.

On the Wednesday I spent time in a lovely primary school in Barnsley, it was the final day of rehearsals for their Easter production and the children were just adorable. We were working with the whole of year 5 on a script that they had put together with the help of Sarah. They had costumes and backing tracks the lot. The day really opened my eyes to the different techniques that people employ with different age groups to gain the same result and also the way to approach people that you have create a working balance with. Luckily the teachers at High View are wonderful so everything was great.

One of the most interesting things I did was attend the writers group on the Wednesday evening I was quite apprehensive and nervous about going. However, as soon as Sarah gave us our topic or stimulus that was it I was writing and I had no idea what I was going to write next but I just kept going. I have honestly no idea whether what I wrote was any good or something that nobody should ever read but the point is I was enjoying myself and I felt my brain clicking from complete blank and panic of what to write to just one idea. Then another one that would then spark another and this chain reaction of inspiration really got me excited about what I was writing.

So now I have returned back to uni, to super long days and evenings of script work where a lot of my year had a boring Easter doing placement hours. Yew Tree didn’t feel like placement to me I was just having fun learning, watching and taking things in and it added to my Easter break.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...