Alex, newly joined member of the black company, blogs about his experience this far


Having watched many Yew Tree Youth Theatre performances from last year’s connections play ‘Sparkleshark’ to the recent productions of ‘Lost Happy Endings’ and ‘Princess Blankets’ I have always been a fan of the work Yew Tree produces.

To my delight I was recently accepted as a new member of Black Company in the latest auditions. (For those who don’t know Black Company will be performing Blackout on the 27th, 28th and 29th April.)

As expected, the group are warm, friendly and fun-loving whilst also being incredibly diligent, hardworking and very very creative!!! Coming into such a tight-knit ensemble was daunting for me as a new-comer. I, like the others who have joined, have only good things to say about how well we’ve been welcomed into the company. We’ve only had a few sessions and I already feel like a fully fledged member of Black Company – which is a great feeling.

The play Blackout is a gritty drama based a young Glaswegian offender. Yew Tree are serving Davey Anderson’s hard hitting (and sometimes shocking) text excellently with imaginative physical theatre and strong visual stage pictures. The rehearsals are physically and mentally stretching for all but fun and extremely rewarding.

What I love about how Yew Tree is run is the way we, as actors, have an immense input to the piece working as a collaborative ensemble. We are never let to just run lose as we are expertly guided by our director Sarah! This creates an atmosphere of equality where everyone can contribute. It’s an organic process which produces, in my view, better work because of it.

Before every rehearsal we have vocal, physical and mental warm-ups. These get us prepared and ready to work. I personally look forward to them every week! Yew Tree has definitely improved my performance skills and ability to work in a team, but it has also made me more confident as a person.

Yew Tree, as I thought it would be, is an amazing place full of lots of friendly people doing fantastic and exciting work to a superb standard. It’s physically and mentally demanding but a great atmosphere, a rewarding experience and above all else...fun! A great place to be!

Thanks,

Alex

xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...