Rob very generously guest blogged for us too this week...

Last week I was given the absolute pleasure of riding from Heathrow airport to Wakefield with the one and only Sir Paul Osborne. For all of you who do not know Oz he pulls many of the financial, logistical and creative strings behind Yew Tree. The man is an absolute legend and hero for picking me up during my financial hardship. Shout out to the big man!
As we journeyed the dulcet waves of the M1 north bound we discussed many things ranging from the capacity of humanity to enhance itself through technological advancement, to the best way to render a child capable of maximized attainment. Exciting stuff right? Maybe that is just me.
However, one topic that proved most thought-provoking was the impact of Yew Tree on my life. If Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or some other form self-indulgent media has not already informed you, I did indeed study abroad for a year in Hong Kong. Furthermore, during the summer I was giving the fantastic opportunity to intern for a United Nations developmental think-tank the Millennium Project, in Washington DC…And honestly, it is safe to say I would not have been in any of these amazing and inspirational places if it were not for the positive influence of Yew Tree.
Now, you might be questioning; how on earth does Yew Tree intertwine within the mechanisms of my life goals, after all, it is just a drama group? Well, allow me to respond in the infamous words of Dwight Schrute…FALSE! I can say with the upmost confidence that Yew Tree has constructed and imparted a myriad of transferrable skills that have enabled me to succeed beyond my wildest dreams.
Upon entering Yew Tree, I was a sub-par student who had attained extremely mediocre a-levels and lacked professional work experience, concentrated drive, and focused ambition. Yew Tree adopted me without hesitation and began to address all these issues.
Yew Tree taught me critical reflexivity through the medium of character analysis and sensitive evaluation. Yew Tree taught me how to communicate with professionals by putting me on a stage and teaching me to command an audience. Yew Tree taught me to think creatively through improvisational games and workshops. Yew Tree taught me the value of attentiveness and dedication through invaluable work experience and volunteer placements. Yew Tree taught me to be sharp and quick with fast paced competitive and intuitive games…and let me just clarify that these are just a few of the many influences Yew Tree has had on me.
Thus, you have a young boy from a quiet city called Wakefield, who lacked real focus and ambition, who lacked the ability to analytically develop himself, and lacked the awareness to critically examine – working for one of the world’s leading futurist think tanks in Washington DC.
Ultimately, if you are a drama student Yew Tree is one of the most powerful tools for getting you in to drama school. That is emphasized by the overwhelming amount of alumni that have entered world renowned schools. However, if you are an academic, an apprentice, or the Robert Girgis from Wakefield…Yew Tree has just as much of a powerful effect. The key difference is you cannot quantify these effects like drama students do with an admission letter.
The work Yew Tree has done to build my drive, confidence, self-esteem, reflexivity and awareness, has sent me to the most insightful and incredible places. So my message is this…
Please do not undervalue the positive force that is Yew Tree. As a member, embrace every moment – as a guardian, support your young person – and as a community, enable it grow further.
Signing off
Robert Girgis

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...