James with the penultimate farewell blog

So I’m leaving to go to university in 14 days, scary thought that one. Not sure if I can hack the responsibility but we’ll find out. The strange bit will be leaving a structure behind that I’ve been used to for so long, being in a particular place at particular times with particular people. But it will be nice to change everything around and concentrate on an area that I’m really interested in. There have been a lot of big decisions to make in the last few years and they all change the way your life goes in the long run. Two years ago I planned to study physics at Warwick and now I’m heading down to Nottingham to study economics. These are two massively different disciplines that require very different skill sets. But how does this have anything to do with yew tree? Well I think making decisions about university has taught me not to shy away from changing things around, taught me to decide what I enjoy and what interests me and not be afraid to make decisions once I’ve decided on those things. I think this applies directly to drama and acting. If you are cast as a particular character you have a lot of decisions to make. Where do they come from? What’s their background? Why do they say the things they say? And it’s about not being afraid to make these decisions and not being downhearted if the first decision you make doesn’t work, but re-evaluating and making new ones. 

That might only make sense in my head, in fact, that’s entirely likely. But what yew tree, badminton and university have taught me is that you can never stop trying to develop. Whether that is as an athlete, as an actor, an economist or just as a person. I think it’s safe to say I’ve come a long way in this respect since arriving at gold company in 2010 to be a part of 12 dancing princesses. I almost wish I had tapes of my role in that so that I could compare it to my role as Siddie in this year’s connections play tomorrow I’ll be happy, as I wonder whether that leap in maturity and in ability that I feel like I’ve made would be evident. So, I guess its thanks all round to the yew tree team for three fantastic years, I’ve both enjoyed them and learnt from them. I’m sad to be leaving but I’m also excited to be moving on with the next chapter in my life. 

So as a leaving present I have decided to quote from my good friend Barack Obama “Focusing your life solely on making a buck shows a certain poverty of ambition. It asks too little of yourself. Because it's only when you hitch your wagon to something larger than yourself that you realize your true potential.” So yeah, hitch your wagons onto whatever subject you enjoy, whether that’s drama or something as riveting as economics and make the very best out of it. James

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...