Gemma who directed "These Feet of Mine" and some of the cast share their thoughts on the piece they created for "Reprise"

As a practitioner it's a one of the greatest joys working with young people. They have a freedom that is not yet jaded by the world.
Occasionally we get asked to be part of something bigger than ourselves and when this happens it brings needs, fear and rewards of its own.
We were given the constraints of creating a piece of theatre that was between 8-10mins long, had to be of a standard that people had come to expect of the youth theatre, and it had to be relevant.
So we spent a week or two playing around with thoughts and ideas and struggled to meet all the needs, without amplifying the fears. Until we came up with the idea of 'them'.
The idea that they would conjure a piece that looked at them, their wants, hopes, fears. I couldn't think of a better stimulus to meet the ask.
They talked for an age and a day about what they are made up of, their parents ideals for their future and their vulnerabilities, that although they are crucial to their own worlds there is also a bigger picture that they are part of and they are significant.
So brave. So free.
The greatest challenge for them was believing that standing on stage and sharing part of their real selfs would not get lost in translation, that people would care. I was always insistent on the idea of 'what's not to love' but as they stood their on stage freeing their fears, somewhere around my knees was this twittering fear that 'of course you want to hear what they have to say, you adore them!' So I applied some of my own science to myself. Have the courage of your convictions Gem.
And like the absolute beauties that they are they stepped of the cliff I asked them to with their eyes wide open and never faltered.
They left 400 people (me included) hopeful. Hopeful that were part of something bigger, its in our hands to do with what we want, we are on the cusp of brilliance all the time. We just need to take what were given and do our best with it.
We have so much to learn from each other.


Beth's thoughts
I liked how we all managed to work together to show something about ourselves and others, I learnt more about myself I think, and how it's my choice as to what I want to do with my life. If we were to do something differently, I think we should mention more about the relationships we have rather than just something relating to ourselves... Or something like that:)
I'd also say what I found difficult was the idea of talking about myself without feeling selfish and boring:)

Here's some more thoughts from Molly
I know I was saying throughout the whole build up towards the performance that nobody would understand it, and that was probably because when I first heard the title it sounded so abstract... Yet I was completely wrong, the way it was structured couldn't of made more sense. I liked inserting the modern parts inside the piece for example the sections where we were all on our phones, as the audience could relate. It's extremely cliché to say what I'm about to say I know but I honestly wouldn't change one part of our performance. It just worked. I was captivated to be a part of such a success. X

Tiff's thoughts

For a girl who thinks less deeply about her personality than a pineapple does about it's own deliciousness, I admit to thinking about my future in the same way as every other teenage human being on the planet: With mild horror and a cerain amount of terror. So performing a play on it seemed to be a request both unreasonable and insane in its very premise. Fortunately, the raring-to-go chaps of Crimson are awesome and need no introduction: we just rocked the place. 
Worst bits: Not enough me. And maybe the triple slice of cheddar ending.
Best bits: Me, the fact that we had each others backs, PEOPLE GOT IT (HURRAH!), everyone worked well together, Tom has great comedy timing, Molly does great gymnastics and is so sassy with Frankie, me, the freedom to have our own sense of humour (and it was funny), a wee bit of random musical theatre thrown in, Leo cracked the whip when she needed to ;P Oh, and: Me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...