Emma took the responsibility of the Christmas Blog this year


Hello from the Fretwell abode.  It’s all getting very festive around here: we’ve managed to clean and shop and I’ve just got myself settled in front of my laptop, with a mince pie and Michael Bublé’s Christmas album. This is far from the norm on a Saturday morning - usually it’s all systems go at Thornes Park (St Swithuns for Mili, who attends Purple company)…. 

And now I’m faced with the task of a Christmas blog, I really don’t know what to talk about. I could ramble on and on about how brilliant Connections was at the beginning of this year. We got a lovely script with Shooting Truth, the Ensemble set it off beautifully and it was just so much fun to perform. Then Kendal was perfect, from performing to playing That’s Out and making a wall of fielders to catch the ball (think it was captured on camera, and the pictures can be found on Facebook somewhere). I’m certain that the memory of Merv dancing will never leave me…. Yew Tree has done loads of things with the Hepworth Gallery this year too. A favourite of mine was the Physical Theatre workshop in the Black Cloud structure outside the gallery - again, there’s a video. All of the summer workshops were fabulous, and I enjoyed looking more closely at Pinter as a playwright. Oh, who remembers Dumbwaiter/Blackout? That was a pleasure too. Obviously the Shakespeare Festival at Clarke Hall… for someone who struggles with Shakespeare (me, me, me, me), it’s the best place to absorb it, watch it, perform it, play with it. I looooove being at Clarke Hall and there were some really spectacular performances this year. Another of my favourites is the Christmas week in Castleford - my own highlight was watching Purple Company’s mime act, and seeing Mili perform. But out of all of the brilliant things we’ve done this year, I’ve got to say that the games session last week where there were a good sixty people present and playing lovely games and making Christmas jingles…. That was my favourite. 

Looking back, what stands out for me is the sense of togetherness, that lovely snuggly family feeling you get at Yew Tree. Mili and I were discussing it after the Christmas shebang, how ‘together’ we all are as companies and as one great big youth theatre. There’s a lovely atmosphere all the time and we’re supported to be the best we can possibly be (as actors and as people) by Sarah, Danny, Gemma, volunteers and by each other. I know Yew Tree acts as a buffer for me when I have a bad week, it always cheers me up and when I have a good week, Yew Tree just adds to it. It’s such a positive force…… And I think a thank you is in order to everyone who is a part of it in any way. 

I hope you all have a very merry Christmas, and that you’re in bed at reasonable o’clock with your stockings hung so Santa visits. Lots of love, ho ho ho! x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...