Unexpected and Appreciated

Thursday night was one of those evenings, which I approached with significant foreboding but I ended up feeling really very happy about.

The Black Company were performing at the Pecha Kucha night at Leeds Met Student Union. For a description of what a Pecha Kucha presentation is you can refer to Hannah’s blog or simply google. Our presentation was about what the Black Company does artistically and philosophically. I’d written it and sorted the slides and then Danny, Dee and Tom had put in time preparing to deliver the actual presentation.

The foreboding was mainly about the unknown, I’d never been to something like this and had no idea what to expect. This was compounded by not knowing whether what we’d prepared was appropriate and whether the speakers would get any support on account of most of the black company finding the floor really interesting every time I asked who was coming to watch.

It appears my concerns were entirely unfounded. Firstly the sheer range in the styles of presenting and their content was so diverse it quickly became apparent that really anything was appropriate. From attending that one evening I know more about pinhole cameras, Mansfield, pencils and interiors in film than I ever thought I would. Once we had watched the first few I relaxed a little, it appeared as long as you stuck to the 20seconds x 20slides structure anything was ok…

What made it easier to relax was that the support I thought might not be there was actually present in abundance. A little shout out to those people who made the effort is required here…First the admirable Helen and Hannah…who’s quiet brilliance and understated commitment to Yew Tree is a constant source of happiness for me…I arrived to find them already there in the audience…steadfast and lovely as ever. Hannah and Helen’s commitment was matched by the inimitable Alice and Joanna…who in their own wonderful style had turned the event into a true outing complete with a cut price Nando’s. It made all the difference to have them with us.

This wasn’t the extent of the support though as we had Nat and Vic from the Hepworth and I can’t think of better people to have on your side ever. The evening quickly turned from potential ordeal to a really good night with good company so by the time it was our turn to present I was feeling so much more confident. Now you’re all aware I hope of the admiration I hold you in as performers, admiration to a large extent founded on my terror at the thought of how I’d feel if I had to do it. This admiration overflowed by the sight of Danny, Dee and Tom standing on the stage addressing a room full of people they didn’t know in a way they had no previous experience with. Their presentation was engaging, full of humility and full of belief in what they did. It was simply delightful.

The final source of support came from the organizers of the Pecha Kucha evening. Before and after our presentation they couldn’t have been more positive and flattering about our company and our work. We were unexpectedly, made to feel really valued, by people I wasn’t aware rated us so highly. After it was all over I left with a light, skippity step. We had faced a challenge and reaped so many rewards for doing so…always a good pursuit for a Thursday evening. If we get invited again I advise you to find the floor less mesmerizing and be a bit braver in taking the risk.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...