And here are more thoughts by Nathan Trout...

When Sarah interviewed me for her doctorate I talked about how there are certain aspects of youth theatre that I like less than others (mostly just games and the like) but you do them anyway. It doesn't hurt you, and it's all part of the game. It helps you become rounded. I say this because I don't like physical theatre, or at least it isn't my favourite thing. That said I was one of the gold company members who offered to do the physical theatre piece in the Hepworth performance. Then again I decided to go along to Wednesday's free special-edition one time only, day-long, zero-cost, physical theatre session, because, you know, why not it's free and my days at Yew Tree are alarmingly numbered.

With that in mind I actually had a really good time on Wednesday. The things like columbian hypnosis and the game which I don't remember the name of but involved me and Jo Nicks pushing each other around are brilliant. They make you feel like a puppet master and then all of a sudden someone else is and it's completely relaxing. I have quite a busy mind being able to just focus on following someone's hand round a room for a few minutes is almost meditative. I also really enjoyed Round, By, Through, which for those who don't know basically involves thinking of ways with a partner to move round them, stand by them and then move through them (generally through gaps in their bodies or serious injuries could be caused). My other favourite was the eye contact game, where you have to lead and follow using eye contact while someone has to steal eye contact. I liked it because you get to practice how to use eye contact, which is useful in the real world not just in acting.

When I think about it, I actually do like physical theatre. In the words of the inimitable Jonathan Hopwood "It's a party".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...