Sound has played an important role at Yew Tree this week…however when I started to think about what I’d write with sound as the theme it led me to a much more interesting place as is luckily so often the case…

The first thing that made sound important was the 17+ group’s performance of The Chrysalid’s. This was firstly because Jamie and I struggled with the sound track all week in one way and another. Little did we know that in the actual performance we would be aided and abetted in creating the required atmosphere by a thunder storm which amusingly many of the audience thought was down to us not the natural elements. The impact of this unforeseen aspect of the performance was an unrepeatable evening’s theatre. As I’ve brought it up I’ll just take the opportunity to thank again both the people that came to see us for their overwhelming support and the actors for their commitment, energy and talented performances.

The second sound reference is (unsurprisingly for those who were there) connected to this morning’s workshop where the Saturday morning Thornes group devised 6 original musical theatre “numbers” much to the delight of Danny and I and equally the group themselves when they were members of the audience. Some classic Yew Tree moments were created in the 3 hours of the workshop. It reminded me as we were working however how hung up we can get by the thought of sounding stupid and what a shame that is because if we just relax wonderful things occur… the bravery and commitment in the final sharing was very similar to that demonstrated by the performers the night before albeit in a very different medium of theatre…

I’ve left a couple of clues along the way as to where this blog ultimately took me in my thinking. The main theme that began to emerge for me was the nature of live performances…the impact on individuals that can only be achieved in that unique dialogue between audience and performer. Whether that be in a workshop on a Saturday morning or in a theatre on a Friday night there is something unmistakeably magic about it…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...