For the first time in my memory, or at least in my earshot, a Yew Tree rehearsal was described as stressful this week. Now if you’re wondering whether this was just between the company involved in the rehearsal you’d be wrong…nope…the stress level of this particular rehearsal was broadcast to 378 “friends,” as a facebook status. When I saw the aforementioned status it made me reflect on the events of the evening…obviously only after I’d laughed at the comments that followed it which were gratifyingly amusing…I do enjoy Facebook immensely…

We work in a potentially stressful field when we are creating performances… mainly because we have a standard to hit and a deadline to hit and personal ambitions to hit and unfortunately I’m not allowed to hit actors (obviously joking there but I did consider just for a moment how significant that strategy might be for stress release.)

I digress…the result of my reflection was the realisation that I, in fact, wasn’t stressed at all during that rehearsal…just utterly and passionately absorbed in the task of creating a production…however I did realise that at times that probably isn’t the most comforting company to be in for actors…so sorry and all that…the thing is…can’t see it changing…

My justification for continuing what some might see as a bad habit is that this week has involved working with lots of adults and the ones that engaged me and/or the others that they worked with were without a doubt the ones that were bothered, animated, interested and that invested themselves in what they were doing. Just to be clear, however, aggression is something very different to passion and inspiring fear or misery in actors is in book 1 on page 1 of unforgiveable things to do as a director…

So…in summary Yew Tree… you get my dedication and loyalty but the payoff is occasionally you’re going to have to deal with the shoutier side of my personality…

Oh and Chrysalids cast…LEARN YOUR LINES!!!!! (see what I did there…)

Comments

  1. And you did...almost...looking forward to seeing the fruits of our endeavours tonight...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...