Cait's 2022 Blog

 This year has honestly felt like a whirlwind, I never would have thought that I would still be at Yew Tree by the end of it but there’s no where else I would rather be. At the beginning of summer, I thought I would be leaving and hightailing it off to university but after some complications in acquiring accommodation, I realised that all I wanted was to come back for another year. I remember the phone call I had with Sarah, and the tears streaming down my face, as I felt like everything was falling apart just a little. I’m so glad that she welcomed me back with open arms because it made me see that maybe everything wouldn’t fall apart and that it would be okay. After some renewed confidence, I can say that it was okay and that it will be still.

 

So, to actually start my year in review, I should probably go back to the beginning of 2022. At the beginning of this, subjectively, awful year, I found myself gearing up for my A-levels as well as starting our new project in Gold company – Merlin and Morgana. I absolutely loved putting this piece together, both Sarah and Jeevan’s creative minds made something truly wonderful. 

     When we were asked to put forward our casting preferences, I didn’t really have a clue on what to do, I knew I wanted to go for the role of Guinevere but at the time didn’t have even half of the confidence I have in myself now (which is still a work in progress I’ll admit). As well as the future prospect of my A-level exams, I had secretly resigned myself to a smaller part in my head, but with many pep-talks from my girlfriend Alise and Jeevan, I put myself forward for Gwen. I think it’s an understatement to say that I was quite shocked that Sarah had given me the part, it seems she’s always had far more faith in me than I have (which I’m sure she will undoubtedly agree with me on). Even just in rehearsal, this role managed to restore a little belief in myself, as I managed to prove my anxieties about juggling college and acting wrong. I think the version of me at the start of this year would have a heart attack when they realise that I now have a full-time job, Gold, Black and Emerald Company, Lamda and Connections on the go. 

     After we’d located our venue at Sandal Castle, you could truly feel the excitement bubbling within the cast, we were all desperate to show what we had created. Of course it was only Sod’s Law that I would get a chest infection the week of the performance. I was truly devastated, as I was unable to take part in the final show, and more so as I thought this would be my last ever Yew Tree show. Even in spite of this, I made it to watch everyone perform and they were truly wonderful, Gold company was a spectacle to behold and I was so proud of them. 

     Little did I know, however, that a small group of friends from both Gold and Black company had arranged a secret surprise for me, to perform my role as Guinevere in front of them. Did we take it seriously? Of course not! We did a little skit version of the play, almost alike to an Italian run, and had so much fun just messing around. I owe all of that to Alise, who listened so patiently when I had told her how upset I was to never actually perform, and of course to the wonderful creatures that came that day, thank you guys.

 

Since the autumn term of 2021, I have also been working alongside Emerald company, who are the most fabulous young people I’ve ever met, and they never fail to put a smile on my face every Friday. Through working on plays like The Saltwater Fairies and Hansel and Gretel this year, I’ve seen each and every one of these actors grow stupendous amounts, whether they had just joined or had already been in Emerald previously. Being able to watch them develop their skills and faith in themselves is truly such a rewarding experience, especially now that I get to share the stage with one of these very actors, who was in Emerald when I first volunteered.

 

Now, as I am attempting to keep this blog in chronological order, we have reached the point of the dreaded university mishap that I talked about earlier. I never wanted to leave Yew Tree and I was always very sad about the prospect of having to say goodbye to all the people I’ve made friends with over my time here, and of course to Sarah as she has always been so kind. I was overjoyed when she said that, of course I could come back, and since that phone call in late summer I have now achieved many goals that wouldn’t have been possible if I’d gone to university. Just this Christmas I have performed in my first Black company shows, am starting rehearsals for my first Connections and have already taken my Grade 5 Lamda exam. I’m currently preparing for my Grade 6, and hope that by the time I leave next year, I will have completed my Grade 7 too. 

 

As I go on to talk about my time in Black Company so far, I realise how long this blog has already gotten and if anyone is still reading it, I am in awe of you, I would’ve probably flunked out around the halfway mark if I’m being honest. Starting Black was something I had always wanted to do, ever since I first joined Yew Tree, but due to college had always held myself back until I suddenly found myself this year with, somewhat, bucket loads of free time. 

     For our Christmas shows, we produced two pieces, Radio and Little Red Riding Hood, which both centred the element of physical theatre. Before the actual shows in December, however, we were lucky enough to perform Radio at the 1940s day in Ossett, which felt massively rewarding. In spite of our praises that day, I don’t think I’ll ever forget how I nearly fell over on stage. Curse that long skirt. If anyone has access to the video taken (I think it may be uploaded to the Yew Tree Facebook somewhere) and wants a laugh, forward through thirty seconds to watch the sheer panic on my face as I nearly grab onto the table for dear life. Despite this incident, being able to perform Radio was indeed very special, having watched it be performed previously by Black company in 2019 and in realising the place this piece holds in the hearts of many others. For those who experienced first hand the loss of war or even those who have felt its effects through generations.

     The other piece we had created was the story of Little Red Riding Hood, which was undoubtedly brought to life by the journey of our physicality and the many different movements we portrayed. I don’t think I can begin to count the number of bruises I had on my knees after taking part in the formation of Red’s cloak, or even after throwing myself to the floor to become a rug in the Grandmother’s cottage. Nevertheless, putting together this piece certainly renewed and piqued my interest in physical theatre as the creative license felt very freeing. 

 

To round off my blog, I return back to Gold company and our play, Maybe This Christmas, which was inspired by Hugh Grant’s infamous speech in the film Love, Actually. For those who have yet to watch it, Hugh talks about how ‘love is actually all around’ and how he believes it most to be true when he visits the airport gate at Heathrow. I feel this play holds a little piece of my heart as I had suggested the idea before I thought I would be leaving Yew Tree. To see it flourish fully into a performance and also be part of the execution makes me melt just a bit. 

    Within the play, each of the characters and their relationships centre love in some way, maybe not in the most evident of forms, but still, each role shows the levels of care and compassion we as people hold for one another, which I think is a very fitting feeling for Christmas. In the show I played Drew (Alex’s older sibling), who tries their best to make Alex see sense and offer them a place of security away from home. Despite being frustrated with Alex, Drew is very concerned for them and wants to offer them a place of refuge emotionally, which is born from their love for Alex. 

      I thoroughly enjoyed this piece, from the ridiculous chair dancing to the sincere moments held between each character. I think my most favourite memory was being spun around by Hattie and flying on the airline trolley we used, if, very briefly during rehearsal. Whilst this year hasn’t felt overly festive, I think this piece has given me a little bit of magic to hold onto and finally let me live my Love, Actually dream out. 

 

If you have managed to stick around to the end of this blog, I applaud you and can only apologise for it’s great length, it seems I have been everywhere this year! More so in the last few months as I have signed up for everything, I think I possibly can. It truly has been wonderful though, I feel this year out has already started reaping the benefits of newly found faith in myself and I have Sarah to thank for that. I’m incredibly excited for the future months to come and the performances we have in store! May you all have a Happy New Year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...