Arwen's 2022 blog

 This past year of mine at Yew Tree has certainly been my most memorable one.


It’s often easy to keep moving forward onto the next goal or project, but having some time to sit back and reflect, whilst writing this blog, has reminded me of the large sum that I have accomplished and experienced in the past 12 months. It reminded me to be grateful for it, and acknowledge my hard work. And not only just my own achievements, but I’m grateful for the people I’ve been working alongside, and their own individual accomplishments.


Safe to say, what I am proud of the most have been the exams I have taken through Yewtree this year (LAMDA, and Shakespeare). I remember saying to Sarah at the start of my first gap year - that I wanted to have every opportunity thrown at me, and, for the most part, I’d like to think that goal is being achieved. Since November last year, I have completed 5 exams. As soon as I finished one, me and Sarah were planning my next - and then the next - and the next.

I often underestimate the effort I put into doing all of these so consecutively, thinking to myself “Okay I need to do more” “What’s next” “How far can I take this?” Alongside other things and challenges I was busy with in my personal and work life - my standards and expectations for myself were (and are) so high. It sometimes didn’t feel like I was doing enough. So to Sarah, I want to thank her for keeping on pushing and encouraging me and giving me the space to grow my skills and my passion. I have done a lot - and I am proud.


And a small note to anybody reading this who might feel a similar way - who works a lot, may invalidate their achievements, not take as much time as they should to reflect and rest: Don’t be daft, you’re smashing it x


One of my most memorable moments at Yewtree this year was doing our 2022 Connections performance of “Hunt”. I’d be quite safe in saying, it is one of my favourite pieces of theatre I have worked on and performed (for now). It really confirmed for me why I love acting and creative work, and why it is something I would be honoured to spend my life doing. I could go on and on about that but this’ll turn into an essay if I did. And to be honest, that feeling would be hard to articulate and put into words right now.


So what I’ll say is, when I think back on Hunt, I think back on one memory in particular. It was the end of our Sheffield performance, our last one - in our local performances I was playing “Mad Danielle” (adore this character), however for our Sheffield one I was playing Jo (the lovely and talented Chloe Watson who was playing Jo originally had a drama school audition on the date - so it was a slightly stressful two weeks prior of learning all of Jo’s lines to fill in for her). If you came to watch Hunt (a big cheers if so) you’ll remember about Jo and Danielle - they were opposites, and adversaries who had such varying perspectives in the world of the play. I had the unique chance to look at the play through both lenses of these characters - how I perceived Jo as Danielle was flipped on its head, and my objectives were too. It was incredibly interesting. But this wasn’t my stand out memory. Sheffield, I played Jo, we finished performing, we were in the wings - all the cast celebrating, teary eyed, joyful, and I remember me and Eliana hugging and just saying how proud we were of each other and exchanging “love you’s”. That’s what I think about when I think back on Hunt.


Apart from Hunt, in the summer Black Company performed Much Ado about nothing, and, in one of the casts, me and my partner Connor were playing Beatrice and Benedick. If I was to say one thing, I can only highly recommend watching/reading Much Ado - whether it’s the movie version with Emma Thompson, or the play version with David Tennant - or any other, it’s a wonderful piece of work. Beatrice and Benedick are just ridiculous, complex, hilarious. The rehearsal process was rather stressful to say the least, but the performances themselves were incredibly fun and a brilliant show. When I think back on this, I think back on learning lines and rehearsing with Connor and friends during 30 - 40 degree heat in the summer, in the garden with a cheeky glass of disaronno and lemonade.


Before I wrap up this blog for the year, I’d like to give some little mentions.


Sarah - of course for keeping on with the madness of us all. For encouraging, pushing, calming, and supporting me - at my bests and my worsts. You do a lot.


Jeevan - Just for being you, giving me your jumpers when the rehearsal rooms were cold, your sarcastic comments, and our little trips to the pub after rehearsals and shows to relax, catch up and reflect. You’re a good one.


Eliana - You never fail to make me smile, you are so thoughtful and intelligent - It’s been brilliant to watch you grow the past year.


Ellie P - You inspire a lot of people, more than you know, You’re incredibly hard-working and wonderful all round.


Chloe - I miss your madness, and I want to say how proud I am of you for being accepted into Central for 2023. You’ll do amazing things.


Connor - Yewtree is not the same without you. Nor is home. You are brilliant, and I am proud of you, in general, and for starting your writing course at Central. You’re a star, always will be.


And a final cheers to anybody who has supported us this past year, and to everybody else who I have worked with through Connections and Black company. You’re all a pleasure to spend time with.


Being one of the oldest at Yewtree, in honesty, It’s often hard not to feel out of place - especially alongside the ups and downs of drama school auditions, work life, personal life, ect. Nonetheless - I would not be on track and following my love for acting and a creative career without it. It’s a special thing, for myself and many people past and present - and for that I am grateful. So when my time does come to say goodbye - Yewtree’s impact will be a strong and lasting one - as will the people that I have shared the time with.


Cheers for reading

Arwen x



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...