Connor's 2017 Yew Tree Experience 
So where do I start with my Yew Tree experience in 2017? I know! How about my very first session back on the 12th May? See during that time I had been taking GCSE Drama and had just finished my final performance when my friend, Elliyah, told me about this youth theatre group she went to on a Friday night. So I decided I'd give it a shot a see how it went, little did I know that it would be one of the best decisions I've made so far in my life. I was instantly hooked after watching Gold companies version of 'Bassett' up until that point and laughing at the hilarious modern fairy tales skit. But then something I didn't expect happened. Sadly, a member of Gold had to leave and now Sarah wanted Me to play that part! I couldn't believe it, I had been there for one trial session and was already been given so much more trust than I got doing GCSE Drama. So me, never being one to miss out on an opportunity to perform, accepted the offer and just like that I was doing my first Yew Tree production. 
Needless to say, it was one of the most fun performance I've had the pleasure of doing and being able to tackle such a mature play was really exciting. After that, Sarah told us the idea she had been working on for the annual Christmas performance, a 1950s version of Cinderella set in a bar and just like that, I was hooked. I was slightly worried when Sarah said it would involve devising the scenes first but I knew that I was in good hands. 
Then, near the end of the summer holidays, Sarah posted the cast list for 'Ella' and as I was scrolling through I couldn't help but notice that I had been given a principal role, 'James' (or in other words, our version of the Prince). So here I am yet again amazed by how much faith Sarah had in me as an actor and long story short, 'Ella' went on to become my favourite performance to date. Everything just worked the costumes, the characters, the dialogue and so much more. 
But while rehearsing for 'Ella' I started doing two other performances both very different to 'Ella', I signed up to do the very abstract and much more physical theatre based Halloween performances as well as, after a lot of convincing, the very mature and professional 'Connections'. Both have been very rewarding and both have made me a lot more confident in my abilities as an actor as I've stepped out of my comfort zone and done stuff I never thought I would, whether that was doing a, sort of, dance routine again or playing a supernatural character, I've felt that I've made lots of progression. 

Finally, came the days of the Christmas shows and I can safely say they were an absolute delight to do. Being able to finally perform in front of family members that don't get to see me do a lot of acting made everything extra special. Also, as a bonus I got to watch as the wonderful quartet of Mia, Tom, Eve and Elliyah sang some incredible songs including "City of Stars" and "People".
If I had to summarise my Yew Tree experience in one word it would be "grateful". I'm grateful for Elliyah recommending Yew Tree to me. I'm grateful for being given so many opportunities to perform some amazing productions. But most importantly, I'm grateful to have been able to meet so many amazing people and made so many new and wonderful friendships. Yew Tree was a massive factor in making 2017 one of the best years in my life and I can't wait to see what 2018 has in store.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...