Mr Declan Kelly for your delight and delectation!

Where has this year gone? This year I think has been one of my favourite years with Yew Tree by far. 2017 Connections has to be one of the biggest highlights of the year. I had the opportunity to play the part of The Narrator in Harriet Braun’s “Three”. This Connections play was like no other play I’ve done, we finally did comedy and to be honest we pulled it off so well. The whole connections experience was quite comedic with there been a power cut at Sheffield Crucible Theatre on the day of our performance. For me the best thing about Connections is that you learn loads of transferable skills which you can use for any other play. Techniques towards characterisation, vocal projection but also to have the opportunity to perform in local working theatres which gives us an insight to the industry. Playing the part of The Narrator was my favourite role of the year. A character who didn’t stop talking, loved the limelight and was over dramatic about everything... to be honest sounds similar to me. Playing the part of The Narrator allowed me to explore a new different sort of character to what I’ve played in the past. Also this year we have started our new National Theatre Connections play called “Ceasefire Babies” which we are performing at Leeds West Yorkshire Playhouse. All I’m going to say is maybe bring some tissues. If anyone is ever thinking about doing Connections in later years you should definitely give it a shot, it’s the most rewarding and professional thing you’ll do with Yew Tree. Shakespeare... well In summer 2017 Yew Tree Youth Theatre preformed a full length Macbeth. And let’s say me and Shakespeare didn’t get along throughout the rehearsal time of Macbeth, ask anyone who was in the cast. It was a challenge for everyone but we pulled it off so well. Sam Mg and Lucy Tranter absolutely smashed the roles of Macbeth and Lady Macbeth. I must admit the best part about performing Macbeth was been able to perform in a old warehouse room in the Hepworth art gallery. As a cast we did so well physically and mentally to be able to keep up the energy throughout the whole piece. This year I and others had the opportunity to sit two LAMDA exams. In June I sat my grade 5 where I had to perform two monologues, Sammy from “The Terrible Fate of Humpty Dumpty” written by David Calcut and The Narrator from “Three” written by Harriet Braun. In my Grade 5 I scored 90/100 and so we then started grade 6 which is the bronze award. Me, Emily Walton, Charlotte Johnson and Tom Osborne sat our bronze LAMDA exams on 17th December this time we had to perform a Shakespeare and a contemporary scene. I decided to perform Iago from William Shakespeare’s “Othello” and Robin from James Graham’s “A History of Falling Things”. I just want to say how well everyone did on their bronze level after watching Tom, Emily, Ellie and Charlotte in the build up to the exam made me realise that Yew Tree is full of so many talent people. LAMDA exams have been the most useful thing this year with Yew Tree, in July I really struggled with Shakespeare’s and after performing Iago I soon started to have faith in myself and was able to get to start to finish with my monologue. LAMDA has been so helpful with applying for drama schools and university this year and they have given me an idea of the amount of work is needed to learn monologues to a good enough standard for auditions. 2017 has been such an amazing year with Yew Tree I feel like I’ve grown so much as an actor. People have gone and moved to uni, people have come back and others have started for the first time. And for me Yew Tree is like a massive family and I think no matter where you go or what you end up doing in life you will always remember your times at Yew Tree. Open mic night was prime evidence of this, people came back from uni and all together in one room there was people who had come back, people who were new and people who are there every week. If that doesn’t show signs of a family well I don’t know what else does. I just want to say thank you to Sarah for everything this year. She has pushed me in areas I thought I’d never be able to excel in. Sarah is one of the most talented, understanding and thoughtful people I know out there. And I’m so happy she asked me to join Yew Tree nearly 5 years ago after she came into my high school. She saved me from jazz bands and pantomime’s and oh I am thankful I am so excited to see what Yew Tree has to offer in maybe my last months before I go to uni if I do, but if not I’ll be back in September Sarah!!! I would highly recommend yew tree to anyone and everything.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...