Chloe is our next 2017 blogger - she's created another delightful read for you...

Ever since I was about 5, I have adored acting. It may be the experience of seeing the world through someone else's eyes, or it may be an escape into a world different to my own. So, in February, when my dad said I was allowed to start an enrichment, I reflected back to a name I had heard on a few of my friends lips, ‘Yew Tree Youth Theatre’. I had done workshops and auditions with Sarah before, so she wasn’t completely a stranger to me. My dad phoned the number we found and I was asked to come for a trial the following Monday to Sapphire company. The moment I arrived, I was nervous. I’m not good with new people and feel shy and exposed, but the atmosphere at Sapphire was incredible. At first I stuck by my friend Elliyah, but eventually I made friends with so many different people, across different ages and backgrounds. I arrived at the start of a performance project, which was Yew Tree Assemble. As a company, we worked together to make two-ten minute pieces, named ‘1916’ and ‘2016’. ‘1916’ was a combination of poetry and movement, depicting the story of a soldier during WW1. I took part in this piece, doing physical theatre and reading sections of poetry. The second piece, which I did not take part in, was about explaining the craziness of 2016 in the form of a newsroom meeting. It was witty, and clever and overall an incredible piece of theatre, which was amazing to see my friends create. Yew Tree Assembles was an incredible evening of theatre and togetherness. I got to view Gold, Crimson and Black performances, which allowed me to understand some of the ways different companies worked. The show gave me such a buzz; leaving me wanting more and more performances with the magic of Yew Tree. After the performance, going back to Yew Tree and starting our Neverland devising. It was fun and creative, with a completely different vibe to the last piece of devising. We made bored lost-boys, war-hungry pirates, sassy fairies and singing mermaids. The whole process was incredible; from watching the scenes being blocked, to watching everyone learn lines and develop characters. When it came to adding costume, set, semiotics and props, it seemed the magic had truly come alive. By the time 7th December rolled around, we were ready to grace the stage. It was incredible, my first Yew Tree Christmas. Friends were in the audience, spirits were high, and even on such a cold night, the energy was hot. It was almost sad, knowing that was my last performance with sapphire, as I move up to Gold. Sapphire has been incredible, welcoming and has helped develop my acting ability further than my GCSE Drama course ever will. I look forward to a few years with Gold, where I hope to make more friends and make my acting better and stronger. I’ll admit, I am rather nervous, to move companies, even though many Sapphire people and other friends will be alongside me. Thank you Yew Tree, for letting me join and making me feel so welcome. Here’s to another strong year of YTYT!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...