Yasmin is our second guest blogger...

So Sarah asked me to write a blog about my first term at RADA and sitting on the train back to London ready to start term two tomorrow feels like pretty good timing to reflect! Its a funny one because I spent so long trying to get a place and imagining what it would be like when I did and constantly saying ‘yes I know its going to be hard work but I’m ready’ but it turns out there’s a big difference between being aware something is going to be difficult and actually experiencing it.
I really have loved my time so far and even on days when I’ve really struggled, I still absolutely wanted to be there struggling. For me, two of the most difficult things about my first term have been letting go of any expectations I had about drama school and just going with whatever is asked of us without questioning it and secondly, dealing with how personal the course is. You have to focus so much on yourself which is a surprisingly hard thing to do. I learnt more about myself in those first twelve weeks than I have in years and I would never have believed that I would have done before I set off in September.
Something that’s been amazing is meeting so many new people and getting to know them so well; my year have been so supportive and lovely and I can’t imagine doing drama school without them.
Its quite hard to reflect too much on the term because its been a bit of a blur! There’s been a lot of lying on the floor, breathing, confusion and homelessness which is a ridiculous yet accurate description. But if anyone applying to drama school is reading this then the best advice I can give after term one is prepare yourself to be open and honest and know that so much of who you are and what you’ve experienced will come into your training (both acting and life related) and so experience what you can while you can!
I’ve had a lovely and relaxing break but I’m ready and raring for a new term (this time with an actual house to live in)!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...