Culture and Community

This week in amongst the usual array of YTYT loveliness we were at a Peace and Unity conference in a 6th form in Brighouse.  The piece of theatre in education we took was called The Difficult Choice and its purpose was to provoke discussion and thinking about being a good neighbour and a true friend.  This is the third time we have performed this piece at this event but it has particular relevance to me and mine at the moment…

The workshop I facilitated after the performance included debates and discussion on the importance of striving to be non –judgemental despite how challenging this is.  We spoke about how vital it is to be curious about why people do and say things instead of just reacting to them.  We championed the qualities of generosity, bravery, thoughtfulness and positivity.

At a time in my life where the challenges seem greater than normal it was reassuring to see that the 200 young people we worked with were aware of their responsibility to their community…their neighbours.  They were also prepared to be accountable for their role in shaping the culture that they live in – whether that be at college or in their local communities.  Most importantly we investigated the power people have to make positive change for themselves and the people around them.


The conversations we had made me appreciate the people I have in my life…that I see every week in all walks of my personal and professional life.  Members of YTYT you are a huge part of that.  I appreciate the culture of the communities I am proud to belong to and the individuals who brighten my life and support me.  Cheers all of you…your brilliance shine bright in a somewhat tricky world!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...