New Years Resolutions – Yew Tree stylee



New Years resolutions get a bit of a bad press at the moment – there’s a general consensus that starting the year with an impossible mission is the fastest way to feel like a failure…

I absolutely get that but I also think that some times the sense that a new chapter has begun is motivation to redress bad habits or strive to be better or discover something new.  It’s also important to choose something that is acheiveable…

To that end I have asked the Connections company to make an acting new years resolution…something that I as their director could help them achieve over the course of connections or depending on the resolution…they have the freedom to choose anything – it can be an improvement of an element of their vocal work, their physicality, their freedom as a performer, their discipline, their readiness to rehearse, their approach to text, their confidence in a particular element of acting, their ability to work an ensemble.  A valued colleague of mine this morning said I have no place for negativity in 2016 and meant it.  As someone who constantly takes responsibility for any negativity I couldn’t help but admire this stance and by using her attitude throughout the rehearsal realized that as a strategy it was a winner…the negativity that was there at the start of the day dissipated when it became clear there was no place for it….


There’s a bravery in admitting you can be better, in stepping out of the comfort of saying that will do and I’m encouraging the Connections company to be that brave…of course the challenge doesn’t have to be restricted to just them – if you’re in any of your companies and you’re up for the challenge of being better just let me know what your resolution is and I promise I’ll help you achieve it…all you have to do is let me know what it is…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...