A blog from the "Tomorrow I'll Be Happy," cast as they sign out of Connections 2013 after a marvellous Kendal weekend

Kendal is always a pleasure. This year was the last year I could be in Connections because I'm going to university in September, so I was determined to make the most of this trip to Kendal! I spent two days with some excellent people, performing a wonderfully directed and polished piece of theatre in a beautiful building in a lovely little town and to be quite honest, it hasn't sunk in yet. I'm lying in bed and it's 2am and the only conclusion I can really come to is that you learn so many things in Kendal - not only do you step up your own performance, but you get chance to see many talented young people in plays that they've worked super hard on and it is inspiring! I have been absolutely overloaded with lovely things all weekend - new information and great ideas and different faces. It's been crazy, it feels like we've been away for weeks! I would like to say thank you to Sarah and Danny and Oz for facilitating all the lovely bits, and the Brewery Arts Centre for thinking of everything and looking after us so well. I would also like to say a maaaassive well done to the cast of Tomorrow I'll Be Happy for the sterling performance that they gave on Friday night - smashed it didn't we gang! I'm running out of synonyms to describe the extent of the nice time I had, so I'm going to wrap it up: I have the best of friends and they are not to be taken for granted.
Emma x


This year was my first Connections and trip to Kendal, and I must say it was heavily anticipated. The performance went amazing, probably the best run we had ever done! A huge congratulations goes out to everyone involved. I also took part in my very first game of 'That's Out', though it did take a while for me to catch the ball. All of the other performers were brilliant as well. It was just as enjoyable watching them as performing ourselves. I have loved Kendall and can't wait to be back!
Katie

One thing that's great about performing at Kendal is the atmosphere, being within this space with 3 or 4 other groups who have worked just as hard as you and everybody is just so supportive of one another. It's just a fantastic time within the Yew Tree calendar.
James L

eeeeeee, Kendal is always so fabulous. The standard of plays this year was truly amazing, with such a range of ages too! From ridiculous minibus journeys, late night/early morning pizza to stressy football matches, it's my fave yew tree thing like ever. The performance was the best everyone had ever ever ever done and you are allllll super fabbbbby!
Amy

These past couple of days have been fantastic! I have had such a wonderful time with everyone; a weekend to remember I think! A massive congratulations to the cast, although I was only watching and listening from the wings I was blown away and I can't even begin to imagine what it would've been like to be in the audience, seriously WOW.
It was lovely to watch other companies perform (even though I find clowns quite hideous) and the party afterwards was host to some more than fabulous dancing.
I still refuse to believe that you have never played pool before Katie.
The second day was equally as lovely with that's out and a whole load of football *cough I SCORED cough*.
It's fair to say im filled with post Kendal sadness and if I could I'd do it every weekend. 

Gabbie:) x

I've had the best weekend ever
Kendal is by far my best Yew Tree experience I love going meeting new people seeing what everyone else has been working on and watching their hard work pay off..I've enjoyed playing my character a lot too it was such an eye opening role and story line I've learnt so much doing it..well done to the whole cast and thank you to Sarah and Danny you two are the best ever and none of us could of done it without you...you really do bring out the best in us..thank you..loveyouall my little yewtrees..going to carry on being poorly now.

Beth

Connections 2013 has been soooo great! I cant really think of anything i would rather do with my time than spending it with such amazing people. It's been my favourite play to do, it was so fun and challenging and different to anything I've ever done. I really hope I can be a part of it next year!
Charlotte

Kendal 2013 my last Kendal as an actor. I couldn't have asked for a better play to go out on. I haven't been to Kendal much with Yew tree and after this weekend it pains me to say this could be the last. It was a amazing weekend full of fantastic performances, football, That's Out and having the perfect company in the Tomorrow I'll Be Happy cast and crew. The moments before the play was the most nervous I've ever been. Having to perform a play like tibh and only having the one shot to tell everyone this story scared me and if it wasn't for Danny and Sarah and everyone else in the cast being supportive and being as great as they were and giving their performances everything they had i know i wouldn't have been able to do my best. So i would like to use this blog to say thank you to everyone who was part of Kendal 2013 for just being brilliant, much love to you all.
Mikey

Having done 3 Connection plays, this one by far has defied me the most. The experience I have gained from the challenges I have overcome in building my character, for me is overwhelming. Having some sort of link with a character can be hard to build on, but having no link really tested me, but somehow I managed to tap into new parts of my imagination then I have ever done before. This character helped me gain more experience in the acting world than any other and being able to create a back story for this character really was exceptional. The play at first almost seemed impossible simply because of the emotional rollercoaster of emotions within one scene; But having Sarah and Danny to guide us through and to help us realise, that every single word counts, especially in this play unlocked me to believe the character in their situation.
This play is totally different compared to other plays we normally choose, and it’s perfect because it brought something new to the table. It felt like breathing in new air, something inspiring that would give a positive message out to the public and I think that’s why our performance stood out from others. The opportunity to perform at Kendal Theatre is also a great highlight despite the fact that it is our last performance; it is great to show other companies our ability and our plays. It’s a great place to get feedback on our acting and to give feedback on other plays we saw, and I guess the after parties are fun too.
This year was different from other years, I feel like I have found a home with Yew Tree, and thinking about the people who will be leaving us, you just have a sense of, where did the time go? But it is a part of life and the great thing about this is that Yew Tree will keep going bringing in new talent and starters to Connections.

Merv

Hi, Kendal was excellent. As much as we did well in February the whole cast stuck out the difficult play we chose and we got rewarded for our bravery this weekend and that was really nice. I think it’s safe to say that everyone developed massively as an actor throughout and that was really nice both to feel and to see. It really has been a great connections this year and Kendal just topped it off. The other plays were really good too, especially What Are They Like that we saw on Saturday night. It’s a really great experience. Thank you has to be given to Sarah and Danny for directing us through it and to the Youth Hostel for installing a free pool table.
James B

Well, I've waited for about 6 years to do Connections and go to Kendal, and finally I got the chance. And let me tell you, it was worth the wait! Other than being travel sick and giving myself a bit of whip lash, being attacked by a dog and having my nose nearly knocked off - it was FANNN-TASTIC! Smashed the best performance out we'd EVER done, playing pool (mel parramoreee, is gunna win it all) props to Michael Wilby for creating a song about me, partying and flying, late night pizza, playing 'That's Out', shopping, eating and of course watching all the other performances and spending the weekend with some brilliant people. Can't complain really can I?... So proud of everyone and myself for actually being able to finally get up and be brave for once
Woooo Connections 2013 - never forget it!

Mel

This weekend was one of the best of my life. the buzz i got after performing in the Kendal theatre was one I'll never be able to recreate again. I loved every single minute and i'm so looking forward to next year x
Tom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...