Yasmin blogs about Yearbook...


For the last three weeks me, Joanna, Alice and Danny have been touring Year 7 classes in schools around Wakefield with ‘Yearbook’ (A twenty minute play and 40 minute workshop) and I’ve had a fab time!!! It was a really eye opening experience working with children in schools as it’s something I’ve never done before. Before we went to schools, we had a rehearsal week and planned the workshop and I was quite nervous because I’ve never been in the role of ‘teacher’ before and I didn’t have a clue what to expect from the students. I’ve been soo soo pleasantly surprised by the participation and responses from every single group that we’ve seen... some were top sets and others were of low ability but the workshops are all about opinion and response and so we have had some brilliant involvement and insightful answers in both. There’s something really rewarding and lovely when you hear an intelligent or sincere answer from a student because it feels like they’ve listened to you and that you might have made a slight impact on their thought process. I think for me, the more challenging groups of students have been the most enjoyable and rewarding... especially when their teacher tells us at the end of the sessions that they don’t usually pay that much attention or get that involved with lessons! The week of rehearsals and three weeks of touring have been a massive learning curve for me and I’ve had a fantastic time... minus the half 5 wake ups! Fingers crossed for another tour in September!
Yasmin 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...