Next up Sarah from the Black Company

This term we’ve been devising. I love devising it reminds me of school and college but without the corniness. It allows you to forget about everything and go into a world that only you have created.

The three devised pieces we have created over the past few weeks have been totally different and made me feel totally different after the experience.

The first piece left me feeling so excited. I loved making the piece. The whole group were excited to keep the audience encaptured in our own little world that seemed so normal. But it wasn’t, it was a fairytale. The conversation after we all performed brought up so much discussion into what we see as a normal. How do you know what normal is? What’s normal to you may not be normal to someone else. It made me think how you can create a story but it can be perceived in so many different ways.

The second piece affected me so differently. Sometimes you leave Yew Tree and you’re not directly affected by what you have created but others you are. I’d had to cry during our performance, we’d created a scenario but it wasn’t entirely obvious what it was, yet again it could be interpreted in so many different ways. After the performance I couldn’t watch the others with my full attention. The story we had created seemed so real I couldn’t get it out of my head. The character had taken so much of my imagination; I left the session feeling drained.

Last week, we used a completely different devising method. We had to create a piece that lead the audience to believe one thing when the reality was so different…it was so hard to do. I watched the performances and even though I knew that somewhere there was going to be a twist, the stories were so believable and hooking that I didn’t see it coming. Sarah said that at some point the penny is supposed to drop but even after discussion I still didn’t know what had really happened and it made me annoyed at myself, replaying all the performances in my head...

I suppose what I’m trying to say is that devising always produces different work, that can be taken in so many different ways by different people. Last term I didn’t attend Yew Tree and I started back this term and I’m so glad I did. Every week is different, everyone’s perception is different, every week you leave feeling different all the while knowing that you have been invigorated by the session you have just attended. And if you don’t, you didn’t let reality stop for that few hours and live the Yew Tree fairytale.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...