And third on the running order is Chelsey of the Gold and Black Company

So this is my first blog…I’d like come up with millions of excuses as to why I haven’t written one up until now in fact I’m pretty sure I could write a whole blog of rubbish excuses but I’d rather just get straight to my point as I have far too much to say and not even all of it is getting used so here we go.

My non Yew Tree friends generally can’t believe I get up so early on a Saturday morning and go to drama but this Saturday morning with the brilliant Gold Company reminded me why I do. A little creative task which is meant to be linked to the main task and just get us thinking creatively actually blew my mind and I could’ve spent the whole session and probably many weeks after that purely just thinking about what was gained from it. I also seem rather inspired by it but confusingly enough I’m not sure what I’m inspired to do luckily I’m blogging it so I may find out.

So what happened for anyone who wasn’t there...Sarah wacked out a load of newspapers, magazines and what not and told us to find an article that we thought we could portray through a piece of theatre. I'm not gonna lie, at first I was a bit dubious about it but watching all the pieces actually sent my mind crazy and it’s actually turned out to be one of my favourite things I’ve done in a Yew Tree session.

Like Sarah said your view of the world is sculptured by what news you read, I've always found myself doubting the media because from what I see on the news or read in the papers a lot of it is beefed up, lets say to make it more entertaining, more readable. But the article we used was real, someone who just wanted to make a statement and wasn’t bothered whether people agreed with that statement or not. I think a lot of the time when writing you need to stop worrying about whether other people are going to like it and write what you would want to read unless you’re writing something to cause a bit of a debate which in my opinion is always fun. I personally think that things we read in the media are taken for granted because something that seems so trivial to one person could actually mean the world to someone else.

Since Saturday morning the way I read or watch the news has completely changed because I now think about the consequences, how that particular piece of information affects those involved and even how it affects people not directly involved. I’ve actually found myself thinking of ways to portray it through theatre funnily enough.
Pretty sure I have shed loads more to say and think about but I don’t want to end up with a ridiculously long blog which it may already be. I’m not sure, I just wanted to point out that maybe after sessions we should think about what we did and gained from those couple of hours because I have done this week and it has been by far the most productive week I’ve had in a long time.

I’m also going to put out there that in like 14/15 years of education I’ve never explored into a subject as much as we get to in a Youth Theatre session so don’t take them for granted because they’re pretty darn good at getting you motivated again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...