Most of the youth theatre is on holiday which means that for me - and the rest of the youth theatre directors…it’s a time of reflection planning and preparation…

One of the main highlights of this so far has been a process of rewriting two scripts I wrote quite early in my youth theatre career. “Maybe This Time” a romance set against a background of 1930’s Chicago was originally performed when Yew Tree only had two groups…still two of the current followers of the blog were in it - Alice and Chinazo... "Don’t Assume Anything," a story about the consequences of joyriding was written for Pilot Youth Theatre when I directed the Castleford group…where I first met the lovely Laura Tosney in fact…

As I rewrite them I am struck by the way that nothing stays static…even tho they have both been performed a number of times before they still need altering and amending to make them right for the group, the time and the directors…I also think about the people who have been in them and the journey we took as we produced them…it’s heart warming and nostalgic and self indulgent and rewarding…some of them are still members of the company…some of them are still in touch even tho life has moved them onto to other places and some I have lost contact with altogether but all of them are woven into the history of Yew Tree Youth Theatre…it’s a nice thought isn’t it?

So as the companies go into rehearsal they take with them a rich history but far more exciting than that they write the next chapter for the plays and the youth theatre…


Next week tales of the Youth Theatre Academy I’m teaching at in Leicester shall be forthcoming…

Sarah

Comments

  1. I'm so excited to see the performance of Maybe This Time It seems like an absolute lifetime ago, I can't even really remember what happens at the end...I might dig out my old script!

    Chinazo x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been rewritten a little since the original version that you were in. I'm so looking forward to directing it again...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, Don't assume anything, i think that was the first Yew Tree performance i was in :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...