Yesterday morning I got out of my bed, had a cup of tea out of my cup and saucer, and decided what I wanted for breakfast…the day went on pretty much like that…not particularly earth shattering I know but after 4 days of my life being the very opposite of that it was more than significant.

The expression “coming home” is used in its metaphorical sense frequently but in experiencing it literally yesterday I was hit by its full implications…it’s about things being right, as they should be, familiar, comforting, safe. I feel like that about the youth theatre…echoing my first blog… I feel at Yew Tree we have created something that is all those things listed above for its members and for its artists. I’m really looking forward to the start of term so that bit of coming home can click into place…

In contrast this week I had to step entirely out of my comfort zone. The young people I taught at the youth academy had no idea of the basic elements of workshop I now take for granted…no idea of my expectations. They did however have creativity, talent and personality in sackfuls plus a general sense of joy that was both enviable and daunting. A journey therefore commenced where I pulled them right out of their comfort zone…they were kind enough to consent to come on it with me and concede at the end of it that there were lots of advantages in the things I was trying to teach them…discipline, listening and truth…

At the end of the course I took a picture of them saying it was to show Yew Tree who had stolen me for the week at which point George (aged 12) shouted up that in actual fact Yew Tree were now stealing me off them…

Next week: National Association of Youth Theatre times…

Comments

  1. Love reading these stories....I cant wait to get back to the Tree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've already said...but I like this one a lot. It is just lovely... :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. we're definitely not stealing you

    he borrowed you for a set ammount of time

    were you to continue to run a youth theatre for him would infact be theft on his part

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...