Ch ch ch changes...

You may have noticed that his blog is a day late…I’m blaming one thing…a thing I have very little control over I’m blaming change…

My role involves an awful lot of helping people manage change – whether that be organizations, professionals, youth theatre companies or young people…I have become very good at offering advice and support as guidance in navigating the rocky terrain that is transition…for other people I have lots of ideas, lots of words of comfort, lots of strategies to share...

However during the last week I have been navigating my own change…with my daughter Amy going to university I, along with the rest of the lovely people in my household, am coping with an Amy sized hole in our home…and it’s hard… Until now I hadn't really realised how much dealing with a substantial change in your circumstances can diminish motivation and hope, create lethargy and a lack of joy.  In short I have discovered it’s an antithesis to the culture our household is centred on.  The blog fell prey to this lethargy yesterday…and for that I apologise…

There is however always a silver lining this chapter of my life has given me a heightened awareness of the change so many people I work alongside and with are dealing with pretty much consistently…and more importantly an empathy with the trial they are enduring…I’ve always been aware and empathetic to an extent but recent events have allowed me to get it more…much more…


Happily my final point is optimistic…the blogs might not have gone up on Sunday…but they are here today…transition is hard to navigate but it’s not impossible…it requires us to balance our need to feel and recognize our loss with the strength not to drown in absence and confusion…we need to be kind to ourselves and believe in our resilience…I’m just about managing to do that and I wish you every strength if you, like me are managing the kind of change that unnerves, undermines and at times undoes…at some point what is new will become what is established and that's something comforting to aim for...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...