I've been waiting a while to be able to read this blog but it was worth it...I give you the exceptional Yasmin

On Monday I heard that I had a place at RADA and it still hasn't quite sunken in. I've realised that when you've wanted something for a really long time and it finally happens, it takes a bit of time to adjust to it!

This was my fifth year of applying to drama schools and it has been a tough five years, there has been a lot of rejection and disappointment and my life has had to revolve around drama schools. Every time you meet someone new or see someone you haven't seen in a while, you have to prepare yourself to answer the dreaded life questions such as 'what do you do?' or 'have you been to university then?'. Depending on my mood, I would give a different answer. Either tell them vaguely about my waitressing job and change the subject or explain the logistics of drama school to them.. Explain that its not just like getting a place at university... Explain that RADA audition over 3500 people for 28 places which gives you a less than 1% chance of gaining entry when you walk into your first audition. Throughout the years I opted more and more for the short and simple answer. Even though its taken me so long to get a place at drama school, I'm still aware of how lucky I am. So much about getting in is to do with luck, to do with how well you match with the other people they want to let in, what you look like, what your skin colour is or how tall you are. You could be an excellent actor and never end up getting in because you're never quite right for that year group. But that's the reality of the industry and so I guess its worth getting used to now! Another scary prospect is the fact that people say getting into drama school is the easy bit.. That going out into the world afterwards and trying to get jobs is where the real challenge begins! At least I know to make the absolute most of the next three years of training I have ahead of me before I have to worry about that! Finally getting in has reaffirmed my theory that if you love doing something then its worth waiting and fighting for. If it makes you happy, then work your arse off and don't take no for an answer. Constantly try to better yourself at whatever it is you want to do and if you start to feel its all pointless, then remind yourself why you love it! Read a book on whatever it is you're interested in, watch a film about it, go to the theatre, visit somewhere related to it. I'm so grateful to Sarah, Gemma and Yew Tree for so much but most of all because I was allowed to turn up to black company every week and be reminded.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...