Control and Trust

This week has been focused on the final stages in rehearsals for Beauty and the Beast.  Directing is such a balance of control and trust…there’s so much you need to organize, guide, shape, sort…but ultimately the play is in the hands of the actors…unless they learn their lines, sort their costumes, think about their characters, unless they are inspired, prepared to graft and work as a team, there is nothing I as the director can do no matter how much control I try to take.  They also have to have a great deal of self-belief… in fact I am constantly in awe of their strength and bravery.


Three weeks ago I began to think that the challenges involved in putting on Beauty and the Beast might be too numerous to sort out in the time that we had…not for any other reason than I didn’t have the time and  resources to do everything needed.  Turns out I didn’t need to worry…happily my cast were inspired, hard working and generous enough to make sure that everything got sorted which means that we are all set for a great couple of performances tomorrow and Tuesday…just needed to stop worrying about control things and to trust them…hopefully I’ll see you all there…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...