Yew Tree Theatre for Grown ups...a new venture

Yew Tree Youth Theatre provides a place for young people to play, to find their voice, to walk a little taller with a little more surety and an outlet for creativity.  Also through the exploration of scripts and stories we stand for a little while in other people’s shoes, which helps understand ourselves and the world around us a little better.  It’s occurred to me on many occasions that there are lots of grown ups that could do with a place like that and so the idea of a youth theatre type drama group for people who can no longer qualify as “young people” would be a good idea.

On Tuesday at the ballet class I attend with a brilliant set of grown ups I found out due to a class finishing that there was space in the hall we use on a Wednesday evening…without thinking I said , “Perhaps that’s when I could do my adult’s drama class,” and was taken aback by the enthusiasm.  The general sentiment was that this was a good idea…

First check in was with Oz just to make sure me setting up another group wasn’t going to send him over the edge and happily he assured me this wasn’t going to be the case and so since then I’ve been thinking about what the first steps and the parameters of the workshops should be.

Drum roll please for I have announcement to make…

From the 22nd of April I will be running a series of five workshops for anyone aged 24 or over who wants to take part, no one would be considered too old to attend.  We will meet at West Yorkshire Theatre Dance Centre from 6.30 – 8pm on a Wednesday night.  These sessions will be for absolute beginners, people who haven’t done drama since school/college and people who are prepared to go back to basics.  You don’t need to be able to make every one of the five workshops to be involved, I will make each one self contained, but the more you can do the better.  The workshops will cost £4 payable each week when you attend.   During the five weeks we will work in a playful manner on skills in voice, movement, improvisation, devising, script work and characterization.  At no point will we be working towards a public performance although occasionally we may share our findings and creations within the group.  The emphasis throughout will be on building confidence and enjoying being creative in a safe and happy place just as it is in the youth theatre.

At the end of the five weeks we will take stock and see what we would like to do next…


All I need now is a list of people who, now they know all of this, are interested in being part of Yew Tree Theatre for Grown ups and I’ll get in touch to invite you to the group…just comment on the link you found this blog through or message me (Sarah Osborne) or the Yew Tree Youth Theatre page.   Obviously if you know anyone else who would be interested spread the word and equally if you have any questions just ask.  I look forward to hearing from you…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...