Our guest blog this week is written by Hollie who was on work experience with us for the week

This week has been a week of firsts for me; the first time I have played a game of 'Best and Worst' with some year two children, the first time I have ever been told my nails were scary by a wonderfully outspoken Jade Company member and the first time I have ever spent a full week amidst the chaos of Yew Tree.

The week we have just left behind was a week in which I had to undertake work experience and for a while pretend A-Levels don't exist. I've learned YTYT takes your mind elsewhere pretty quickly when you have a large group of Year four students all questioning in unison, "Where's Sarah?" the minute she leaves the room. Working with younger children has never been something I have had a lot of practise with yet after a hectic five days I feel I can say confidently I am possibly capable of working with a mass of 7 year olds... Possibly.

But this came at a price and I can now tell anybody with ears the story of "The Elves and the Shoemaker" particularly eloquently.

It hasn't been easy. I'm happy to admit I can small-talk for England yet meeting so many people every single day wanting to know every detail about yourself, future plans and always, what you think of their kids, becomes taxing. However, such is the life of Yew Tree working and it has been fabulous.

Working with Black Company is a highlight for me and I couldn't wish to meet more diverse, talented and hilarious young adults to work with. I've witnessed them journey through high and low points with their production of Taming of the Shrew but I am none the less thrilled to be a part of it and excited to complete my first ever Yew Tree performance! What stands out for me is the members of Black Company's willingness to help. As I arrived at Jade Company with a forlorn look after an already long day and an artistic director dealing with script disasters, it's joyous to see the familiar faces of three members of Black Company arrive cheerfully to help entertain the variety of sleepy and excitable kids. This Wednesday afternoon was a rehearsal for Jade's short play "Heard it in the playground" and I have to say guys, I'm expecting good things after the tasters I got whilst highlighting lines!

I've learned tonnes about communication with help of Yew Tree and I've discovered that when mixing drama and children - anything is possible!

Whether I have learnt all of these skills that I have witnessed is another matter, however, I have seen exactly how it can be done to achieve the best results with different people and for that I'm grateful.

So for now students of YTYT, good luck and continue to enjoy your sessions as much as you do now. But Black Company, you're still stuck with me a small while longer and I couldn't be happier about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...