Sam wrote about Gold Company's The Sea

Two of the things I love most in the world, and I am sure you do too, are Gold Company, and string instruments played with both skill and thought. In bringing these two things together, “The Sea” was fourty five minutes of beautiful physical theatre, accompanied with the subtly powerful music, which told a story in a refreshingly unique way. More contemporary, as I heard it described by a member of the audience, than many of the pieces that we see in our every day YTYT adoration, “The Sea” managed to tell an emotive story with words, actions and sounds in wonderful harmony.

The very first words surprised me with the clarity with which they were spoken. Reaching every corner, I have to admit I had a bit of a double take as I checked for hidden amplifiers and microphones before realising that it was a preposterous notion and settling back to enjoy the speeches, an impressed smile upon my face. To really enjoy the piece, I feel it was necessary to take the time to absorb what was being said. With so much thought in the writing and vivid descriptions to enrich the scene before us I found myself pondering about their meanings.

Having rehearsed once or twice with the company, as all you frequent blog readers will have known and forgotten, it was a valuable opportunity to appreciate the thoughts behind each moment. I feel that it is easy to take for granted that the richness people provided with their sub-stories and overlook their presence. Particularly memorable moments were in the packing sequences and the farewells before people boarding the ship, little, intimate seconds where connections were made between the characters provided intrigue and a desire to know more about each of them. The realisation that what happened with Edward and Anna could have happened a thousand times over on the very same ship. Bobbie in all her expressiveness, Ellen and Merv, Grace and Sandy were some of the people I saw, although these are only the things I happened to spot. I feel as if I could watch “The Sea” many times and notice different things each time; it was impossible to know where to look and yet, no matter which direction I chose, I knew I wouldn’t miss out. All this was aside from the expressiveness demonstrated by Beth and Merv with their brief time as Edward and Anna on the ship made the ending all the more emotive.

My favourite part of the performance was how amazingly they handled the sinking of the ship. The very clever sliding of the passengers over then deck of the upturned ship was rather a strong image and the screams and shouting was somewhat chilling. The combination of this with the sustained strings bought a shiver to my spine. As the call to abandon ship was hollered, a most bewitching sequence took place as the water spirits surrounded Edward and Anna, forcing them apart, claiming first Edward and then Anna for their own in a way that had echoes of everyone reaching for the last ticket at the docks. With the rushing of the sea around them, spectacular lifts and the raging chaos everywhere, it was truly a sight to behold.

Overall, I would call the 21st of June a night well spent. Gold company truly did themselves proud and the music from Stems was enchanting. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...