A week in the bubble and out of my comfort zone: Part 1


I’m spending a week out of my comfort zone this week.  This blog is being typed from Warwick University where for the next 7 days I am a tutor at the NODA (National Operatic and Dramatic Association) affectionately known as The Bubble to those that attend. The course I’m teaching is an Introduction to Acting course so thankfully that aspect of my week isn't out of my comfort zone.  However as I gear up for my first session that takes place this evening I am aware how lovely it is at YTYT to be able to work with companies of actors who I am so familiar with.  The luxury of a consistent group that meets every week means that I develop an in depth knowledge of how to get the most out of each actor.  I constantly reflect on the achievements, progress and challenges that members of the youth theatre experience in sessions and plan my approach accordingly trying to be as responsive as possible.  It is this consistency and commitment from both actors and myself that makes us so successful.

This week however I have to start from scratch with an entirely new company of 9 actors who I know very little about, apart from the fact that they have made the decision to devote a week of their summer to becoming a better actor.  I’m both excited and apprehensive at the prospect of being their tutor and director – excited at the myriad of opportunities it brings and apprehensive about the high expectations everyone in the room will have…so you see the out of my comfort zone claim was valid.

One of the things I am genuinely giddy about however is the opportunity I get to learn alongside my new company…as the thing that makes any new adventure worthwhile is the knowledge and experience you take away with you when it is over.  I have the chance this week to challenge my practice, remember things that have slid from my memory, reaffirm concepts and ways of working that I take for granted…discover new approaches and ideas that wouldn’t occur to me in the familiar territory of YTYT…it’s an exciting prospect!

I’ll let you know the result of my adventures in next weeks blog…

To Be Continued…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...