Results...


Last week was all about the anticipation for a full on YTYT week so it seemed only fair that this week I should reflect on some of the highlights…

Before we get into the performances which is going to be my focus of the blog, Aladdin is a treat…a treat I tell you…my next task after this is to write the next scene and I’m positively looking forward.  What I particularly like about it is how we balance not taking it too seriously with integrity…which is pretty much a reflection of the Sapphire Company itself…

Which brings us on to Comedy of Errors, which was in fact a triumph.  The Black Company created something that can only be described as outstanding.  They pushed the boundaries of performance, of bravery, of focus to produce a performance which presented Shakespeare’s most farcical play to their audience with a flourish.  Never have I been more proud of them.  Inevitably some of the audience were baffled by the cast’s quick fire delivery of iambic pentameter, blank verse and rhyming couplets but no one could deny the sheer talent showcased in the performance.  The Hepworth’s Black Cloud provided the perfect setting and the rain was kind…relatively kind anyway.  At the end of the second performance my only regret was that we couldn’t set off on a 3 month tour…in all seriousness it was of a quality that would justify it, and if I’d won the lottery last night there would have been no stopping me…

Up next, the lovely students of West Yorkshire Dance Centre.  I arrived at the centre in trepidation – we had significant work to do, only two hours to do it in and I had been informed two of the students were too ill to perform.  Not the best way to start a performance night.  However I had nothing to fear…the casts rose to the challenge beautifully presenting their family and friends with performances that were poised and skilled.  Each of the three pieces presented a different challenge to the cast and each challenge was met – from the emotional maturity of Spirits of the Landscape to the poignancy of Princess Blankets to the quick fire wit of Camping.  I was so proud of every single performer who will be rewarded next week with as many games as we have the time and energy to play.

Then yesterday I had the treat of attending a performance I’d played no part in.  Crimson Company under the direction of the brilliant Gemma had created what could only be described as an intelligent, witty and utterly entertaining adaptation of As You Like It mixing the original text with modern instances and a generous helping of physical comedy too.  It was a delight and such a pleasure to just go and watch something after the tension of presenting my work all week…a wonderful end to a triumph of a week.

It’s difficult to draw out a conclusion out of such a varied and rich week but if I have to it will be this…the commitment and dedication of both YTYT members (and my honourary ones at WYDC) and their loyal audiences means that we can achieve the most creatively fulfilling things.  The sense of achievement from the casts that performed and the admiration of those that came to see them is enough to make all the effort not only worth it but in fact seem like a small amount to pay…so team…thank you for this week and here’s to the next set of creative challenges!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...