Brittany from Sapphire writes her first blog for us...

Blogging….not something I’ve done before…but I’m going to attempt it. I will tell you the story of a theatre group, not too far away, who arrived one day to be told ‘we’re going to devise our play’. Cue some smiles, some -.- faces (no other way to describe them…), and some confusion (mostly on my part). So, after games (and a new rule put forward by Sarah: no groaning at game choices) we were given the task to devise the first couple of scenes of Aladdin. A few minutes talking and we were away!!! 
Now, as a new recruit this year and never having done anything like this before I was put into a group of professionals (AKA, people who understood what devising entailed, and who could guide me through this confusing time) and we were given scene two to devise. I will not tell you the plot of this particular scene, as that is best left for our performances, but it was pretty simple. Or so I thought. Me being who I am, it was hard to get some funny bits in there (which I believe were required given with the atmosphere I was feeling, one of comedy and fun times) as I don’t see myself as naturally funny. Give me a script to read from and I can do funny. But coming up with it myself…no. But I believe we got there, with enough humour to suit the piece we were aiming for. Running through it again and again, we finally got to the performing stage. 
Watching all these other performances I was in awe, what these people could come up with from the information we were given was incredible. I’ve never been around this before (well, only the last 8ish weeks) and it was just…wow. I think we got some amazing points for our final piece, ones that will make our pantomime extra special…and incredibly funny. Then my group performed…I was scared…I didn’t know what people would think. I think I messed up a bit, stumbling lines, but you wouldn’t know it the feedback we got. The fact that I can feel not great about my performance and still get a response like that is great. I wasn’t just the positive stuff; it was the constructive that would help us in future pieces. And this is what has led me to feel safe at Yew Tree, and has kept me coming back (after feeling a little lonely until an extra special Avengers discussion), the fact that working together like this, all giving individual ideas, will lead to what I believe will be an amazing piece. And the people at Yew Tree are just incredible, constantly astounding me with their acting skills (with a very realistic portrayal of a hulk-like sister being a highlight of the night), and being all cool with their personalities (and there certainly are some personalities).
This week’s session left me feeling awed and honoured to be a part of Sapphire company, and a part of what is to come…so prepare for our piece this Christmas, it will be awesome  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...