James Budenburg generously blogged about Yew Tree Arts performance of Encounters...


I’ll start by saying just how good Encounters is, it’s brilliant and if you haven’t seen it you’re missing out. 

It’s completely different to anything else I’ve seen. The start is really nice, probably because of its naturalism; the setting allows you to relate to the characters a bit more than you can do in a theatre, well in my opinion anyway. The main ideas are introduced in the first setting, which draws your attention into all the others. Just realised I hadn’t mentioned that it’s in the Hepworth. But yeah, it moves right around the Hepworth. Which brings me to my favourite moment in the entire piece, this is really harsh because the whole play is so deep, but there is one line in which the art-loving Jed describes the reason he likes one of the sculptures merely because of its colour. I think the line is so good because of the characterisation though, as there is a scene nearer the beginning that explores the meanings behind some of the Hepworth pieces. This was interesting for me, as I’m not exactly an art enthusiast.

The other thing that made the performance special was the relationship between Masie and Jed, I know the two people that played the characters, but by 10 minutes in they had become the characters they were playing in my mind and you couldn’t help but believe the two characters had been apart for the long period of time. We were expecting the stereotypical soppy ending as we went down the stairs, but thankfully no. The end suits the peace, perfectly in being naturalistic, but still hard-hitting enough to tie up the loose ends. I offered to write this thinking I’d have a ton to write, but I can’t really put it into words, it has some sort of an effect, but you’ll have to go see it and if you can tell me what it is then that would be great, because I can’t think.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...