The wonderful Gemma Whelan everyone...

Daily, if not sometimes hourly, I find I have something I want to say about Yew Tree and the work that we do. Occasionally, if I’m feeling brave i decide I’m going write it down …and so here we arrive at my blog.

As part of the writer’s session this week we looked at habits and what the word meant. We discussed how, as a word, it is burdened with negative connotations and that a ‘habit’ is perceived by many as a destructive pattern that you routinely do. After much thought, discussion and yet more discussion (for writers they’re awfully keen on talking…oh and Haribo’s) we came to the conclusion that there are both bad and good habits and that the only connection they have to each other is the need we have, as people, to do that ‘habit ‘ as much as we can. The rich eiderdown of our lives are made from tiny threads, lots of which are habitual behaviour... brushing teeth morning and night…the need for cake with tea… making the bed as soon as we get out of it on a morning… the need for cake with tea…checking Facebook…keeping a journal…needing cake with tea...some bad, some good, some more needed than others.

So I grow to my point (about time I hear you cry) Yew Tree is my habit (a good one. ) It is my practice, my preference. I routinely pursue the custom and tradition that is Yew Tree on a weekly basis with hundreds of other people for whom it has also become part of the pattern of their weekly life… and why you ask? For me. Because I’m better for it, cleverer, happier, stretched, challenged, exhausted. I am all of that and more. Which is exactly how a good habit should leave you feeling.
The joyous part of good habits is the more you do them, the more fluid, and accomplished your practice becomes. Clever eh? So the point of my point is find your habit (if you’re reading this you already have one) and like me pursue it with zeal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...