A brilliant way to spend a Wednesday evening

On Wednesday I went to the writers forum – a sort of holiday special edition of the writers forum - and had a ball…it was so lovely to be a participant in something…as you can imagine, my job means that I am pretty much most of the time out at the front, or in the centre, either way I’m leading…sometimes on my own and sometimes with the brilliant people I have working with me but regardless it’s all a bit of a responsibility. A responsibility I enjoy but all the same…

I digress…so I got to the session…I didn’t have to prepare anything, I didn’t have to be there early…I didn’t have to be there at all…I had chosen to be…all of these little things were refreshingly liberating in themselves but then I was treated to 90 minutes of writing for pleasure…what a brilliant way to spend an evening…

I think apart from all the things that I’ve already mentioned the most outstanding bonus of the session was being able to respond to someone else’s ideas…and not having to worry if they were happy with my response. As a professional writer every time I write something…whether it be a film script, scenario’s for training or a script for the youth theatre there’s a pressure for me to produce something that fits the commissioner’s vision of what they have requested…the moment I send off a piece of writing there’s a tension until I get confirmation that it’s been approved. So to write just for the sake of writing…to respond just to see what might happen…in the safest of spaces created by an affirming artist and a group of lovely people well that’s just a brilliantly creative outlet I need to indulge in more…

However there was a bonus on top of that as it would be easy to think that a session like the none I’ve just described is all very well but wouldn’t result in any real productivity…but that’s where you’re wrong…I emerged from the session with a brand new, unlooked for monologue for the Crimson company’s production of Fragments…

As I said…I had a ball…


The Writer’s Forum runs every term time Wednesday 5.15-6.45 at Drury Lane Library. It is open to both Yew Tree Youth Theatre members and young people outside the youth theatre. If you would like any further information contact us on 01924 277844 or info@yew-tree.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...