Sam's 2023 National Connections Blog

I took part in connections this year as stage manager. I had very little knowledge about the role so there was a lot of learning as I went.  

The local performances were very strange to me. I would ensure all props and set were ready before a performance however throughout the performance I had very little to do. I’m so used to being on stage and actively thinking about what’s next or my next line. Even when I have done sound for a performance, there’s always something to be thinking about. 

 

Sheffield was, however, different to the local performances. I was able to watch their stage manager run the tech rehearsal and then calling a dress rehearsal. It was then my turn to call the second dress rehearsal. To say I was nervous would be an understatement. I was ultimately determining when the sound would start and stop and the lights would change. This is something I have never tried before but I knew that if I didn’t I would regret it. 

 

The dress went ok. I fumbled quite a bit but I was able to learn when to say a full cue or when to shorten it and knowing the actors well helped me know when they would start to speak or ready to start the scene. 

 

I was then able to call both performances; which was amazing. The more I did the more confident I felt. After the first successful performance I felt on cloud nine. Everything ran smoothly and I couldn’t wait to do it again. The end of the second performance was bittersweet, I was so happy that I had done it but it was ultimately over. 

 

Despite spending most of the process a little unsure, ultimately I learned so much and enjoyed every moment of this new experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...