olli's 2023 NT Connections blog

 Connections 2023 has been quite the journey. When Sarah first released the rehearsal schedule, the fact that I would be giving up every Saturday afternoon for a good few months did give me a few misgivings. But I’m very glad I bit the bullet and took part, because it has been well worth the sacrifice.

Although ‘The Heights’ wasn’t necessarily my first choice of script, I was far outnumbered by my peers, and I wasn’t mad about it. Giving the script a thorough read-through, I really enjoyed it, even if I do wish it had a slightly different ending. 

On this first read-through, two characters stood out to me – Lillie, and Jacob. I chose a section of the play for my audition that contained both characters, and sat down with Ash, my fiancé and the mastermind behind our music and sound for The Heights, to go through the scene, once as Lillie and once as Jacob. With Ash’s advice, I decided to go big or go home and audition for Lillie; it’s my last Connections so I had nothing to lose.

And I’m glad I did, because for the first time in my life I actually got the part I auditioned for. It’s been such a joy bringing the character of Lillie to life over the past few months, exploring their psyche and the world of the play, which they’ve created. It’s been a pleasure and a privilege to be double cast in this role with Nat. We have quite different interpretations of the character but I’ve definitely learnt a lot from watching Nat on stage. 

Working with Eliana as Dara and Cait as Jacob has also been one of the best parts of this experience. As the only other characters Lillie converses with in the play, we spent a lot of time going over scenes together, especially the quite vulnerable moments in the play- Dara strangling Lillie, and a moment of intimacy between Lillie and Jacob. Eliana and Cait’s talent and discipline blows me away all the time.

As it does with the rest of the cast. I’m incredibly proud of the piece we have created together and worked so hard towards. It’s been such a joy to perform The Heights every single time.

Of course, no blog would be replete without massive thanks going towards the crew; John as assistant director, Sam as stage manager, and Ash on sound. We’d be lost without you guys.

But the biggest thanks of all goes to Sarah, who gives us this opportunity in the first place, who inspires and pushes us every week, and who is just generally fantastic.

My final Connections has been incredible. Massive thanks to all involved, and to those who came to see our shows, a huge thanks also.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...