Layla's 2023 Connections Blog

Ok one of my last blog posts, I will be trying not to cry while writing this. 

 

So when we were picking plays this years, “The Heights,” stuck out for two reasons for me. The famous writer and the text itself. I got the character Bizzy at casting and I’ll be honest, I didn’t really like her, she wasn’t a character I normally play. But after a couple of weeks, I started to like her as a character. 

 

Working with both Arwen and Eliana as the Dara’s was so fun, both played her so different, meaning I could have two different relationships with both the Dara’s, especially in scene 9. The street scenes, the ensemble work was so fun to do. Alice as Webb was really good, she really got Webb’s annoying nature and funny one liners. Robin as Boyle was perfect casting, they went in from the start with Boyle’s fun nature and really showing that these characters after all that happened are still young. Hattie as Jimmy was great too, the group leader, commanding control with an iron fist. Hattie was a great Jimmy. The Jacob’s were the narrators of the story and played amazingly by Jeevan and Cait, and both had amazing performances. Being open with the audience, bringing them into the story and the world of the play, also playing Samson, the shopkeeper, a small part but brought to life by them brilliantly. And the Lillie’s, played by Olli and Nat. And wow, just wow. They were incredible, both bringing Lillie to life in two different ways and having great relationships with their Dara’s and Jacob’s that people would be invested in. 

 

Some points were harder than others, when working on the last scene with Bizzy being taken by Lillie and Dara and Lillie dying. I had trouble with my reactions. But working with John in my breathing, getting images of my greatest fears in my head (spiders) and imagining Lillie was putting them all over me really helped with the scene and the aspect of fear I couldn’t get, really helped me get ready for the scene. 

 

Sam and Ash have been amazing. Sam telling me where my props will go and making sure everything is sorted. And Ash making the music in our play carry the story on and play the music on time. And Sarah being amazing as always, always encouraging us, helping us wth our craft and helping us improve our craft. 

 

So if I could express my connection’s journey in one word it would be, exciting. 

 

To my cast, thank you for making it so fun. To John, Sam and Ash, thank you for being the best crew in the world. And to Sarah, thank you for always believing in me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...