Robert blogs about Gold and YTYT

 “I love Gold!” I’m told every Friday night when I become her personal taxi driver to and from Ossett. It’s always quiet on the way there, perhaps just a bit of mumbled singing to whatever she’s playing through her headphones. But it’s always, “I love Gold!” on the way home. If she ever forgot to tell me (she never does) her Cheshire Cat grin would let me know. 

 

She’s been coming to Yew Tree Youth Theatre since the dawn of time. There are times when she has arrived home from work or college completely exhausted from a long week’s work, but there’s always enough fuel left in the tank for Gold Company. Her grandad spent most of his life involved with theatre activities. Whether it was acting, producing writing or indeed running drama groups, it was all done just for the love of it and what it could achieve - especially for younger people. He would be chuffed to bits to see what she has achieved through Yew Tree’s myriad of activities. 

 

This year saw her taking on one of her biggest speaking roles to date in a collaboratively written play. I had to hide my raised eyebrows when I saw the size of the part that she had to learn. But she read it through many times and rehearsed it out loud. Sometimes she practised standing next to me and sometimes she stood out in the hallway to make sure she was speaking loudly enough. She even started learning it by listening to a voice-recording of the part over and over again. 

 

My raised eyebrows were unnecessary. She reeled off every line at the performance. She did herself proud. The year was rounded off at the Christmas show. She performed in Neverland, inspired by the Peter Pan story. She did this in an unfamiliar theatre and fighting off a stinking cold, yet once again, she nailed it. She could be heard from the back of the stage to the rear of the auditorium. It was her clearest and most engaging performance to date. Each year, I can see her develop in confidence and belief in what she can achieve. This is especially true this year, even with all its Covid challenges. With each new project I become less anxious on her behalf as a performance looms large. I know she can do it, because each time she is challenged more, she accomplishes more. 

 

This is what Yew Tree Youth Theatre does. It grows people. It would be quite reasonable to assume that Sarah beats all the members of Gold Company with a big stick to get so much out of each of them. Fortunately, I know this isn’t the case – she’s one of those demanding but caring types that everyone adores! This is evident in the buzz of excitement at the end of each show and after each drama session. 

 

A wise man once wrote, 

“Gold. Always believe in your soul. 

You've got the power to know you're indestructible. 

Always believe in, because you are Gold.”

 

 It was Gary Kemp from Spandau Ballet, for those way too young to know. Personally, I think he stole it. It’s an Osborne mantra…

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...