Maddie's Leavers Blog

 I genuinely wasn’t expecting this day to come so quickly, or to even write this blog so I’m going to try to write it without crying. Wow. 5 whole years. Yew Tree hasn’t just taught me my skills in acting, it’s taught me so many life lessons and I will be forever most grateful. I’ve also started this at the start of June so it actually gets done. (I didn’t finish it until the 18th July with many tears)

 

I joined Yew Tree in 2016 after meeting Sarah at ‘West Yorkshire Performers’ and joining them in their production of Aladdin. During the rehearsals of this show, I decided to do the Summer School that year and finally join Yew Tree after a year. My first official Yew Tree performance was ‘Ella’, which was a musical adaptation of ‘Cinderella’. I was casted as a bitchy show girl, definitely not type casted at all (I can hear you all scoffing). I had a lot of fun in that show as it was pretty MT so I wasn’t thrown in the deep end too quickly.

 

Now I’m not sure if you heard but we went to the National Theatre in 2018. I know I know, it’s not spoke about often. All jokes aside, I know this is a lot of people’s favourite show because of the National, it definitely adds to the reasons of being my favourite but overall it was the experience of the whole process. During the time of Ceasefire Babies, I’d had a bad experience and the thought of doing shows made me want to spoon my own eyeballs out. However, Sarah and the rest of the cast made me use the spoons for ice cream instead of my eyes and I have so many fond memories that drown out the bad ones. From me and Tom sat outside the door trying to make out why the National is ringing Sarah to Ben looking like something out of Shrek, I found my stride in acting and I was pushed so much playing two characters but it only made me better. I also learnt how stressful quick changes were as I had to go from modern day to 1940s and I had a wig and some flares it was a task and barely made it but I did it.

 

During my time at Yew Tree I have been involved in many Miner’s Memorials, as me and my mum love a good Miners show. My favourite one was ‘Remember Where You Came From’ in 2018 with Alan. That man is a legend and must be protected at all costs. I will never forget the time he flossed to his own music, iconic. My part as ‘Thropic’ who I thought was called ‘Tropic’ for a good three months was part of a comedy duo which I had the pleasure of playing along side Ellie and Connor. Again, the part was very MT as I sang and danced with a big show tie, top hat and cane, as you can tell, was clearly in my element.

 

Another stand out show was ‘The Tempest’. Well, me and William Shakespeare aren’t exactly besties, I’ll put it that way. I was juggling taking my GCSE’s and also learning Shakespeare which sounds like a foreign language to me, with my background that takes a lot. In auditions, I had no idea who I was auditioning for so I didn’t, then cried because I was asked to read the tiniest bit. By the end of it, I was saying the lines like I’d just walked straight out of the RSC. (Definitely not but we can always try). This show was definitely the most rewarding as something that didn’t come easily to me didn’t stop me from doing the show as well as trying to get qualifications, I actually really enjoyed the show. Acting along side the amazingly talented Helena was definitely a bonus. 

 

The last show I want to talk about is Look Up, which was our 2020 Connections show that was rudely cut short by the pandemic. This was a big part for me as I played the female lead alongside Connor and Chloe. Only if I was in the show for 25 minutes, I made a dramatic entrance (very Maddie), got to get lifted in the air and did a fight which was very fun. Although, this connections week really sticks with me as I was currently also in a pantomime at the same time because Maddie just can’t not stay busy but how accommodating the cast was still really warms my heart as I was probably very grumpy and very tired so the fact no one drop kicked me was a miracle.  It was such a shame that COVID cut off our regional performance because we would have shown York how it’s done. 

 

So, 5 amazing years with the most amazing people has finally come to an end and I should probably start my thank yous. (Get ready, I have a few)

To the entirety of Black Company, old and new, for constantly teaching me new thing and being a lovely and welcoming group of people who I could rely on every Thursday.

To the famous bus gang of Connor, Callum and Chloe, thank you for putting up with me not just at Yew Tree, but before and after too, I’m going to miss the 30 minute wait in Wakefield Bus Station at 9:30.

Shoutout to my lovely parents for sending Heidi and I every week and dragging Layla to every single performance of Chaos. 

Special shout-out to Oz, who has sat and listened to me cry about 400 times about all sorts and always helping me find a solution. 

To Amy for always being lovely whenever I see her and Tom, for being the best big brother I could ask for. 

 

Finally to Sarah, thank you for everything you have taught me in the past 5 years, you have helped make me the person I am today and never let me settle for anything less. You have always pushed me to my very best and I am so grateful for everything you’ve done for me. 

 

Yew Tree isn’t just a place to explore drama, it’s place where a real family is created and the friendships I’ve created and reunited (big up Dec) I will cherish forever. 

 

Thank you Yew Tree, it’s not a goodbye, it’s a see you later…

 

Maddie

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...