For our final YTYT Christmas Blog we have Lucy's reminiscences on her long YT career...

Hello! It’s me, Lucy, been a while Yew Tree-ers! Well, it hasn’t been that long but when you were a part of something for nearly 10 years, 3 months away seems like a long time. I’m here because I didn’t write a goodbye blog when I left so the 12 blogs of Christmas thing seemed a good way to do that. I think these blogs are supposed to be about our year at Yew Tree but I’m gonna throw it back a bit further if that’s okay. We’ll start back in 2008- my first year at Yew Tree. I walked into a group of people I’d never met (except the friend I’d tagged along with) sat in an old church on the outskirts of Eastmoor and did my first “news” (Gemma’s version of best and worst). I can’t say I remember much more about my first session other than the fact that my dad, in true Barry Tranter style, was waiting outside for me at the end in an embarrassing Australian bush style hat, and that I obviously had a good time as I came back the week after. And the week after that. And the week after that. Our little group in the church later became Crimson Company. I have a lot of fond memories of being a part of Crimson- Harry Walsh falling down the stairs mid performance as a jester in Sleeping Beauty and playing it off like an absolute pro, the time we performed A Midsummer Night’s Dream and Josh, who was playing Demetrius, forgot his lines and decided the best way to get around that was to lie down and pretend to fall asleep. And of course who can forget the infamous “NOW MERV!” from Gemma, stood at the back of the audience when Merv forgot when his entrance was. We were clearly a group of top class professionals. It was also in Crimson that I learnt about the beauty and impact words can have on you and on other people, and how important words are. Anyone who follows Gemma on Instagram will know she writes the most wonderful, poetic captions to most of her photos, and her scripts were no different. It was a pleasure to perform in every one. After probably about a year or so, I moved up from Crimson to Gold Company, and from Gold to Black- which is where I found myself back in 2016 after a 3 year break. There has been many a blog written about the first performance I was involved in when I got back to Yew Tree (Macbeth) so I’m not going to bore anyone by going on about that again. All I’ll say is how grateful I was to be welcomed back with such warmth and such open arms. My final piece with Yew Tree before flying back out into the big wide world was Fear and Misery of the Third Reich, which as you can tell by the title is a laugh a minute piece full of fun, friendships and love. I’m kidding it’s about Nazis. It was disturbing, moving, and thought provoking and I was glad to be a part of it. Telling such important stories with integrity and respect is a difficult task but I think we pulled it off. I think that’s what I picture my time at Yew Tree as- a big book of beautiful stories. Stories about building friendships and playing games, with chapters of memories I can read over and over again and still laugh all these years later. Of Kings and Queens and witches and X Factor auditionees and even a dragon- with jaws like a shark and scales like sequins. I’m sad my time at Yew Tree is over, but I’ll always be grateful for everything it taught me. To be confident in my abilities, and to push myself further than I think I can go, to not be self indulgent (well, not all the time anyway), and above all that there will always be a place I can go to escape if I need it. Sorry this blog post hasn’t really stuck by the rules of what I was supposed to write about, but I get carried away and emotional and cheesy sometimes. Thanks for all the laughs guys, I’ll be seeing you in Boons at some point no doubt. Lots of love, LT x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...