A proper treat for today's blog - Laura - the director of Jade Company and all round YTYT champion

I have the pleasure of working with Jade Company, a wonderful bunch of excitable children that never fail to make me smile. This year our summer performance was ‘We’re Going on a Bear Hunt’ and was the first time some of the group had ever set foot on a stage. The performance went well with only minor hiccups and the looks on their faces when they received applause from such a big audience were priceless. Our Christmas play was to be ‘Stick Man’. We had a great time in the devising and rehearsal process and this was reflected in their final performances. They were brave, bold and a joy to watch. I look forward to seeing them progress further in 2019.

In addition to working with Jade Company I volunteer my time with Gold Company which, although an entirely different experience, is equally as much fun. Often, the start of the session begins with our best and worst moments of the week and it’s here you see the great camaraderie among the group. Whether it be Mia’s college updates, Georgina’s basketball games, Taylor mocking Jacob or vice versa, just like Jade Company they always make me smile. Gold Company have produced some excellent work this year. In particular the Christmas performance of ‘The Three Musketeers’ was fun to work on and I thoroughly enjoyed being able to sit in the theatre and watch the final show. A special mention has to go to those involved in the sword fighting. I was on the edge of my seat. It was during this performance that I witnessed how far everyone had come. Over the course of the year I’ve seen the group grow in confidence and that’s one of many reasons I give up my Friday evenings to be there.

My personal highlight of 2018 was a performance of ‘Remember Where You Came From’ at The National Coal Mining Museum during the Summer. The piece was performed by some members of Gold Company to a small audience. The actors were, as usual, professional and focused. So much so that at one point a wasp decided to land on Ellie’s face and she did not flinch. ‘Remember Where You Came From’ had previously been performed at the NUM in Barnsley and again at an event in Wakefield but something about this particular performance was special for me. The setting was stunning, the live music was beautiful, the audience were engrossed and I, along with many others, were moved to tears. That was one of many moments I felt proud to be part of Yew Tree Youth Theatre.

Thanks for having me.

Laura Taylor

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...