Ysanne is our guest blogger this week

After managing to successfully escape writing a blog, I now find myself trying to fit into just one blog post everything I have learnt and experienced this week. I have spent the past week with Sarah (and an afternoon with Gemma) undertaking a work experience placement in which I visited primary schools, a local high school and Sapphire Company.
Although I didn’t expect to enjoy the primary school sessions, the experience opened my eyes to just how necessary this first stage of education is for development. My first session within a primary school included me assisting a dance class for Year 4 pupils. The children very much enjoyed the time to release their energy and express themselves in a different and fun way. Despite there being challenges within this session, two boys who I were told usually misbehaved were rewarded with ‘chance cards’ at the end of the class. It was not only pleasant to see the boys rewarded for their hard work and behaviour but it allowed me to clarify why I thought the arts were so important within education. For those with low confidence or those who struggled with academic work, the arts are a chance for them to excel in another area. Academic rigour, though important, can limit a child reaching their full potential if too much emphasis is placed on it and the arts, sports and other important skills are consequently abandoned. The two boys in the class were pushed within the session to reach their potential and they were rewarded, giving them a confidence boost and showing just how important the arts are in education.
After this session, I travelled to Sapphire Company where I assisted groups to devise the final scenes in their Christmas play ‘Hansel and Gretel’. I was very much entertained by the humour, enthusiasm and talent within the room and cannot wait to see you perform the final piece in December!
Tuesday brought a new challenge in that we were working with Year 10 pupils from a local high school, none of whom were particularly enthused by the idea of spending two whole days participating in a drama workshop when the other stresses of school were calling. The workshop was focused on their transition in to Year 11 and building necessary life skills, again showing the impact that the arts can have on development within education. I’d never really considered the skills that Yew Tree’s games helped you to develop and this workshop really made me understand how it allows for spontaneity, creativity, concentration, listening and many more. Never have I seen a group of people enjoy a game of Mafia so much! Sarah was able to build a relationship with the children that allowed them to be honest and evaluate their own strengths and weaknesses, allowing for them to consider which direction was necessary for them to be a successful GCSE student. An example of a skill worked upon within the workshop is resilience as, despite several failed attempts, they were able to complete a full round of ‘Tick-tock’, also showing a development in concentration. By Thursday, I had learnt skills in terms of assisting a drama workshop but also life skills and metaphors that I believe will have a huge positive impact.
Surprisingly, I had never met Gemma but I must say she’s a star! The other teachers within the primary school commented on how good she was the children and I was enthralled as she performed a poem for the Year Ones about teachers. She also did one-to-one sessions with several boys who had struggled with their behaviour during the year and used a metaphor of butterfly wings to allow them to think about how they had improved during Year Five and what they must work on during Year Six. Although it was great to see those pupils who had developed so much with the help of Gemma and Sarah, it also made me to think about how lucky I was to have lived such a privileged life. Some of the children we had worked with throughout the week had faced challenges in their short lives that I have been lucky to avoid. Not only did this make me grateful for every opportunity I have had but it really emphasised just how necessary it is to fuel children’s creative outlets, be it through the arts, science or sport. We are all aware of the current political and economic cuts that are made within education and it is sad to think that these could prevent children in need from being able to learn from experiences such as drama workshops lessons that may spark an idea, allowing them to escape their cycle. I have been lucky enough to experience in these and I think it is important for future generations to be able to access groups such as Yew Tree Youth Theatre to learn skills that can perhaps make a huge difference.
Wednesday afternoon saw me returning to the first primary school I worked in and creating freeze-frames of the Year Three’s favourite memories of their academic year and what they were most looking forward to as they entered Year Four. It was lovely to see the children recreate what they had enjoyed so much and share their excitement as they enter new challenges and successes.
Friday morning was spent cleaning of the costume department over at Yew Tree Youth Theatre and I must say there are some very interesting items within wardrobe.  From Tudor costumes to a full Stagecoach bus company uniform, there was everything! 
The most important skill I believe I developed this week would have to be the art of reflection. In true Yew Tree style I will now list my five favourite things of the week to conclude my first ever blog post:
1)     To see the positive impact that the arts have on education and personal development by allowing children to express themselves through drama
2)     Being in the mafia for my first ever time (although I was caught out quite fast)
3)     Seeing just how much work and effort goes in to Yew Tree as an organisation and to know that I am in the hands of a hardworking, successful organisation
4)     The free food from one of the schools was definitely a highlight
5)     Finally, learning new skills to allow me to develop as a performer, a leader and generally a person
A massive thank you to every pupil who has helped me learn something new, everyone involved with Yew Tree and most importantly to Sarah and Oz for sorting out my placement. I would highly recommend Yew Tree to anyone looking for a work experience placement as you learn so much in a warm and friendly environment.
Thanks team!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...