Laura is our guest blogger this week!

When Sarah first suggested a ‘Yew Tree for Adults’, I was immediately interested. I’d been in school productions, and had always enjoyed it, but hadn’t been on a stage for years.  I thought it might help with public speaking, like giving presentations at work, and that it could be fun.  When Silver Company started, Sarah started us off gently. We worked on improvisation, scripts, characters, physical theatre, breathing, and much more that I have hopefully absorbed but can’t recall. 

Although I enjoyed doing something different each week, I think we all felt it would be good to work on something over a few weeks.  We dipped our toe in the water before Christmas, working on Act One of Dear Brutus by J.M. Barrie.  Since we didn’t seem to do too badly with it(!), in the new year we started to rehearse a fantastically written (thanks Sarah!) short play.  I’m really enjoying being challenged to work on my character, and think about what my character is thinking, why she’s doing and saying what she is.  However, having to remember lines, staging, and everything else is proving to be much more difficult than I remember it being. Everything that I’d found so easy as a child and teenager takes so much more effort as an adult.  But I’m really enjoying it and am looking forward to seeing the culmination of all our hard work. 


As adults with jobs, families and other commitments, it’s great to have that hour and a half each week to do something completely different.  I’ve also spent time with old friends and made some great new friends.  I hope our Silver Company goes from strength to strength.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...