Black Company's Hannah Mullen...


First blog post, go easy on me Yew Tree readers.

After a few years of watching and supporting Yew Tree and their many brilliant productions, I recently I have had my nights free to finally give it a go. Not regretting it one bit…yet. I was apprehensive about my first session at Black Company but was welcomed by the enthusiastic and lovely Sarah (she paid me to write that) and the friendly Yew Tree members.  

After being introduced to ‘Best and Worst’, a task that involves us racking our brains to remember what exciting or unexciting things we have got up to in the week, the time had then come to act, and a daunting prospect it was. I have often been asked and told by other people that all we thespians do is embody trees in drama, and every time I make sure I reply, with a deadpanned face, “no” as if that was the most foolish thing to have ever come out of their mouths. So, in the first session of Black Company, what was I asked to do? Become a tree. Yep…I showed them. In spite of that, of course, without much hesitation I created a tree and I didn’t feel too foolish especially when everyone around me was doing the same. Since then, I have quite enjoyed this part of the show as our branches twist and interlink to make quite an intricate and layered forest image.

The thing that has most struck about Black Company is the lack of judgement in the room as we rehearse for Red Riding Hood. I don’t have the fear of doing wrong whether it is choreographing movement for a piece of the script we have been tasked with, or improvising as we fling ourselves across the room (my personal favourite). Everyone is genuinely kind and respectful and that has made me really look forward to it every week.

Just an insight into some of the things we have been doing in Black Company, of course not forgetting our weekly games of lists, ninja and funky seaweed. With the image of us aimlessly chopping at each other’s arms and legs for the title of Ninja warrior, I bid you farewell.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...