Alice is our guest blogger

Once again, my camouflage skills have failed me and it seems that my small size is only useful when other people want to make a joke about it and not when I need to use it to hide from Sarah's smooth and innocent questions such as... "who fancies writing a blog about Halloween?" *hides in a corner and pretends to be doing something important* ".......Alice! Well volunteered!" So here I am, the day after, looking out into the misty night and wondering... why wasn’t it like this yesterday!? That would've been awesome! However, after everything, we didn’t need the creepy atmosphere! Brilliant actors, costumes and scripts made it easy to send a shiver down every person's spine. I may be the only one to say this, but I was surprised about how relaxing it was and how smoothly the night went. The whole thing was brilliantly organised and I am so pleased I was able to be part of it. After only a week of rehearsing, I was so shocked at how quickly and immensely each piece improved every single time it was performed, it was amazing to witness. Sarah's genius ideas and directions were a great help, it showed me how only a little idea can make such a big difference and give a piece much more meaning and power. I not only enjoyed performing but also enjoyed watching others perform their pieces in the setting of the ominous Hepworth gallery and among the artwork. Each piece seemed to fit perfectly with the sculptures and gave each one much more energy. Halloween was very much based around telling stories, whether it be through poetry, narration, physical theatre or through playing individual characters, and it took a lot of hard work to make each story both scary...I think Bobbie sums it up well. "Halloween is always about being brave, be it in the costume you choose or the things you decide to perform, and Halloween at the Hepworth showed that perfectly. The amount people stepped up in a weeks worth of rehearsals and the amount it paid off was wonderful to watch and be part of. Halloween is probably one of the best parts of the year for me and it's because of how brave people can be and how much closer we all become." - Bobbie And it was very clear that our hard work paid off as an audience member said.. "This Halloween I managed to get to the Hepworth to watch some of the Halloween shenanigans by my little yewtree fam. I saw the witches and some physical theatre, they were so good, just the right amount of creepy to give me chills. But can I give a special mention to Becky, watching her in the witches was amazing. She really stepped out of her comfort zone and it was well worth it as she was amazing! Overall well done to everyone it was so good I just wish I could've stayed for longer to see it all!" - Ellen 
Another feature to this years Halloween was the living waxworks...do they need an explanation?? The clue is very much in the title I think. We were living waxworks. From the characters of Little Beth to a murderer and his victim, teenagers with a Ouija board and creepy children, a clown and a vampire bride. The lights created creepy shadows along the brick walls of The Calder and the sound of dripping water created an eerie atmosphere. The thought of staying still for 20 minutes seemed like a nightmare but it was unbelievably fun to listen to the reactions of people looking around. I think the most effective character was Dec as an incredibly creepy clown with balloons. Every so often he popped a balloon and caused a few screams of terror...personally, I think he enjoyed it way too much. The Calder was a perfect place to do it and it was extremely fun as it was so different, simple and effective. Also, I do find it incredibly amusing how my dad is now scarred by Little Beth's singing (Well done Ysanne!) "It was refreshing to change location and also great to change up the type of performing we usually do at Halloween." - Georgia I enjoyed the whole night, it went by too fast! Thank you very much Sarah for an awesome Halloween! As this was my first Halloween with YewTree, I can now definitely say it is not my last...So watch your backs next year! *evil laugh*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Arwen's Leavers blog

Celebrating the past in the present...